Chapter Five: Learning To Drive and First Date!

[A Few Days Later]

Up in her bedroom, Leilani was jumping and spinning around listening to some music. She was singing along to the music. She didn't have it up very loud though.

"Leilani, will you come into the kitchen?" Frankie calls out. Leilani turns off her music and heads down the stairs. She was still humming to the music.

"Yeah, Dad?" Leilani asks.

"Come with me, I want to show you something." Frankie says.

"Um, okay." Leilani states and she slips her shoes on as they head out the door and into the garage.

"What do you think?" Frankie asks, motioning to Frankie's old car.

The car originally used to belong to her grandpa, Mikkel. Leilani's family was a dwindling one. On one side of the family, Franklin's family went back centuries to what used to be the olden days of Scotland but Frankie and Leilani was all that remained of their line. It used to be Frankie, Leilani and Leilani's grandfather, Mikkel used to be the only ones. Then Mikkel unfortunately passed away four years ago. He left behind an old car, a plane for Leilani one day as he'd taught her to fly when she was ten years old. She was good at it too, until her Grandma found out and told him that Leilani wasn't International Rescue, she couldn't fly at ten, legally.

"Grandpa's old 2040?" Leilani asks, curiously.

"Absolutely." Frankie replies.

"It's old." Leilani states.

"Not old, a classic." Frankie explains.

"More like an antique." Leilani mutters, "What's the point?"

"You're going to learn how to drive it." Frankie tells her.

"What?" Leilani asks.

"My job is changing my hours next month which means I won't be able to pick you up. You'll need to get yourself to and from school." Frankie explains.

"Shouldn't I learn on one of the new flying cars?" Leilani asks. She'd been flying since she was ten. She knew how to fly better than she knew how to drive. She snapped a picture of the car and sent it to Alan.

'That thing is old.' Alan texts back.

'Dad wants me to learn how to drive on it.' Leilani explains.

'You're learning to drive before me? No fair!' Alan replies, 'At least I've got you beat. I've been flying since I was twelve.' She snickers.

'I've been flying since I was ten.' Leilani texts.

'What? You know how to fly?' Alan asks.

'Grandpa taught me when I was ten.' She explains.

'Lucky.' Alan replies. Before Leilani could reply, Frankie lightly snatches the phone.

"I'm texting Alan!" Leilani whines.

"You don't need the distraction while you learn to drive." Frankie tells her, "You can have it back when you've learned how to drive. Or at least get finished with today's lesson."

"Fine." Leilani replies.

Leilani took a few days learning how to drive. It was a little difficult at first. Leilani kept stopping and going, stopping and going.

"I don't think I can do this." Leilani states, throwing the car in part as they hadn't even left the neighborhood.

"We have gone two feet from the driveway." Frankie explains.