Chapter Ten: Days With You!

Leilani woke up early, did a head count on everyone still sleeping and headed into the kitchen. She was so used to being up early for school that it was a usual thing. She started making breakfast.

"You're up early." Grandma Tracy says.

"Always am. My body still says 'it's time for school'." Leilani explains. Grandma Tracy looks at Leilani and watches the spatula shake a little.

"You can resume your studies virtually when you're ready." Grandma Tracy tells her gently touching the hand that held the spatula.

"Please don't tell Alan..." Leilani pleads as she pulls away to flip the pancakes.

"Leilani, what you went through was traumatic..." Grandma Tracy soothes, "It'll take you a long time before you're ready to get back to your schooling."

"Can I... just do the schooling I need to assist Alan? According to my classes, I would have graduated next year..." Leilani admits as she looks at Grandma Tracy through her lashes.

"Hmm, we'll think about it. Can I help you with anything?" Grandma Tracy asks.

"No, um, I've got it. I like cooking. It makes me think of my parents." Leilani states.

"Are you feeling homesick already, dear?" Grandma Tracy asks.

"A little bit. But I understand why I'm here. It's not safe." Leilani explains. Grandma Tracy lets her finish making breakfast. Leilani watches Grandma Tracy walk away and she hits the button to call John.

"Hey John... can you... play it for me again?" Leilani asks.

"Are you sure?" John asks.

"Yes." Leilani explains. John plays the news footage from East Creek.

"It's been a week since the devastating explosion on our very own East Creek High School that left fifteen year old Leilani Rose in the care of International Rescue. The cause of the explosion was an old can of cooking oil slated for the trash. A fire was set by Wendy Atkins who was taken into custody by the GDF. There are also rumors that Atkins tech has been shut down due to the hack on their own hotel that was moved into the asteroid field earlier this past summer. Of the guests on board was Leilani Rose and her parents. We spoke with some students that went to school with the girls." The news reporter explains.

"I always liked Leilani. We were friends in Kindergarten. But then... Wendy found out some personal things about me and that I was on scholarship at the school because of it. I wanted my life to mean something but then... she blackmailed me to be mean to Leilani..." Jasmine explains, "Wendy isn't a good person. She talked a lot about how she wanted nothing more than to have Leilani thrown from a bridge... This all started because Leilani was smarter and prettier than her. I felt really bad. I wish I could apologize to Leilani."

"She really means it." Alan blurts out. Leilani jumps and finds Alan standing there. She presses the button to end the video quickly.

"Alan..." Leilani says.

"I followed my nose..." Alan explains, "Are you watching the news about what happened?"

"Yes..." Leilani whispers, "I... I can't stop watching it."

"Why?" Alan asks.

"Because it happened." Leilani explains and looks down. Alan gently takes her hand.

"I'm never going to let what happened to you happen again, Leilani." Alan tells her, "I want to protect you. No matter what." He gently touches her cheek, caressing her face. Leilani's cheeks burned with a bright red blush and Alan's was tinted pink as well. His eyes flickered to her lips as he looked to be leaning in gently.