Part 7: The root of suffering

"Why is life so painful?" asks the Seeker the mysterious stranger, as they both walk along their path together. Behind them lies the dark tower of desire. Desert all around them. The clouds are dark and stormy. Up ahead, the Seeker spots a sandstone mountain in the distance.

"That's a good question," responds the mysterious stranger. "Who is it that suffers? Is it the body or is it the mind? When the body suffers, you go to a doctor, who fixes you up again. The doctor can tell you exactly, what the root of this physical suffering is. They understand the illness and know how to treat it.

But what about the suffering of the mind? What will you do, when it is your thoughts, that plague you?"

"I don't know," shrugs the Seeker. "Probably go to a psychologist or therapist..."

"Surely, they might assist you to some degree

"Surely, they might assist you to some degree. Just like shamans or sacred healers used to support their people in closing emotional and spiritual wounds. But is the analytical approach treating the issue at it's root? Or is it treating the symptoms?"

"What are you trying to get at?" asks the Seeker with curiosity in their eyes.

"Let's say thanks to the support of someone, you have overcome some old childhood trauma. They help you, understanding yourself better. You have then healed an old emotional scar? But... Will that be it? Or will you create new problems? New sufferings? New attachments? New fears? New desires? We went through this already, didn't we? We have seen, what happens, when you climb the tower of desire. We have seen, what happens, when you can't let go of your attachments. And we have seen what happens, when you are consumed by fear. You create suffering. In yourself and within others. You create conflict and separation. Do you see this?"