Just Little Touches

"We have to go in at some point."

Minjeong and Jimin sat forward in their seats, Minjeong's chin resting atop her arms that were slumped across the dashboard. Jimin's face was pressed on the steering wheel, and neither of them wanted to move. Her parents' home seemed to tower up above them, a mass of brown brick and arch windows, ivy snaking up the walls and tangling with the drainpipes.

Minjeong had freaked out when they'd trundled up the long drive, gravel crunching under the wheel of the car.

"My God, Jimin, you could have warned me," she'd muttered, snapping her legs down off the dashboard and stuffing her bare feet back into her sandals, hurriedly trying to fasten the buckles. "That's not a house, that's a mansion. It looks like one of those places they hire out for tourists to visit so they can poke at old Victorian furniture and pretend to be cultured."

Jimin laughed, keeping her eyes on the road as she followed the lane and the house got closer and closer. "I don't think they actually have any Victorian furniture."

"I didn't say they did, I just said it looked like they might," she said.

At that point, she'd driven up to the house, slotting the car in the available space and parked. Neither of them had made any motion of leaving.

"I feel so underdressed," Minjeong mumbled, her voice slightly muffled. She'd buried her head into her arms at this point. "I feel like they're going to yell at me for my posture or make me eat caviar. I'm not going to be made to eat caviar, am I?"

Jimin snorted, a smile tugging at the corner of her lips. "No caviar, I promise. You know there's no reason to be nervous, right?"

"I'm not nervous," Minjeong said, combing her bangs. "Or at least, I wasn't until I saw that house."

"You know it doesn't really matter if you impress my parents or not, right?" Jimin said, raising an amused eyebrow.

Minjeong made a 'humph' sound, turning her head away from her and looking out towards the house. In her mind's eye, Minjeong could picture Jimin's flat, drowning in discarded clothes and bobby pins, and she had a feeling that she needs to impress people no matter what Jimin said.

A few moments passed, both of them waiting for the other to move.

"Hey, is it too late to fake sick?" Minjeong said, twisting back around to look at her.

"Probably," Jimin said. "Especially as they've probably got their noses pressed up to the nearest window waiting to get the first glimpse of you."

"You think?"

She nodded. "I bet they open the door before we even make it to the porch."

"Okay," Minjeong said, the word coming out in one long sigh. "I guess we better get out, then."

The pair left the car, Minjeong slipping out and slamming the door shut before Jimin could hurry round and open the door for her.

As they made their way towards the porch, Minjeong yanked at her arm. "Quick, put your arm around my waist."

Jimin stumbled over towards her while she tried to process what she'd just said. "What?"

"My waist, Jimin-shi," she hissed. "We've got to look like a couple, remember?"

She put a tentative arm on her side, her hand barely brushing the fabric of her dress. Her fingers froze in place. It felt wrong to be this close to her, like she'd crossed an invisible line - though Minjeong didn't seem to care, judging by the way she'd rolled her eyes and moved her hand closer