Middle School Level Bullshit

"You didn't have to do that."

The road ahead was dark; the way back from Jimin's parents was paved with a set of winding country lanes, hidden by large hedges that blocked out any hope of a decent view, and it was lit only by the headlights of her car. Minjeong had long since slid her shoes off, but this time her feet were on seat rather than on the dashboard, her knees pressed against her chest. She was working her fingers across her bare toes, as if she'd been walking for miles, not just sitting in a garden for a whole day.

Jimin kept her eyes on the road, but she couldn't help hersef from sneaking glances back over towards her. The whole situation with her parents kept running through her head, and she couldn't seem to stop thinking about the conversation they'd had - she could still feel Minjeong clasping her arm, still hear her voice agreeing to go with them to Rottnest Island  in Australia.

Siwon and Tiffany had been delighted, instantly perking up and making plans, telling her everything that they wanted to see or do while on the island, telling her with bright confidence - "You're going to love it!" - all while Minjeong kept up the polite smile she'd been using all day. Something about that whole situation made Jimin's stomach twist with guilt.

Minjeong shifted in her seat, her side resting on the back of the seat as she turned to face Jimin.

"Is that how she talked to you before?" she asked softly, her voice breaking through the long silence they'd had.

"About what?"

"About bringing a date," Minjeong said. "Looking like she was going to cry. Like you having someone special in your life made her happier than she's ever been?"

Jimin's eyes flickered over towards her before darting back to the road. "Oh," was all she managed to say.

"I couldn't say no to her, Jimin," Minjeong said, her voice very small. "I didn't know how to."

Jimin kept her eyes fixed on the road. "I know the feeling."

Quiet again. Neither of them talked, and for a while, all that could be heard was the sound of the car, trundling down the road.

Jimin's eyes kept sliding over towards her.

"You don't have to do this," she said. "I can still tell her that it didn't work out. We don't have to keep this up. They're not expecting us for another two weeks or so anyway, so I can just go alone and say that it didn't work."

A pause.

"Are you lonely?"

Minjeong voice was so soft, she barely heard it, and it made her stomach jolt. Jimin took her eyes off the road for a few long moments to stare at her.

"What?" Jimin asked, eloquently.

It wasn't at all what she had expected Minjeong to say, and she had no idea how to respond.

Minjeong rearranged her seatbelt so that she could comfortably tuck her legs around underneath her. "Just something your mother said."

Jimin gave a short laugh and shook her head. "You shouldn't listen to her. She thinks I'll be alone forever if I'm not married by twenty-five."

But the answer didn't seem satisfying for Minjeong. Her small eyes were narrowed, and even in the darkness Jimin could feel her staring, and as they lapsed into silence, Jimin resolved to keep her eyes fixed on the road. Shadows of trees and hedges passed by outside, and she tried to focus on them, but no matter what she did, she couldn't shake the feeling of Minjeong's staring at her from the other seat.

"When was the last time you had a date, a proper one?" Minjeong asked.

Jimin sighed.

She couldn't remember the last time she'd been on a date. Perhaps sometime in university. She had vague recollections of taking one or two people out for coffee, but she couldn't for the life of her remember any names or faces.