Fine Wine and Caviar

Minjeong was sitting atop her suitcase, her legs astride the edge, hands on the handle, and for the what felt like the hundredth time, Jimin felt her heart stop in her chest. She was looking at her with a quirked smile, bright eyes and a face that was far too awake and fresh for six o'clock in the morning.

"You're late," she said.

Jimin scowled at her, her eyelids at half-mast. "I don't understand how you're awake."

"Sheer will-power," she said, "and lots, and lots of coffee. Speaking of-" she reached down beside her, pulling up a paper Starbucks cup, and holding it out to her

"You're an angel, and I could kiss you right now."

Minjeong grinned. "Save it for your parents."

Jimin was fast asleep.

Despite the full cup of coffee she'd chugged that morning, she was sound asleep in her chair. After they'd checked in, been felt up in security, and discovered that – of course – their flight was delayed, they'd sat down and Jimin had promptly fallen fast asleep. Then she'd started drooling. Her head slung back, mouth wide open, and drool dribbling down her chin. People were starting to look.

Minjeong sunk down in her seat, covering her face with her hand. The more I'm-not-with-her vibes she could give off, the better.

It didn't work. People then started to stare at her.

"Hey, Jimin-shi," she muttered.

No response.

She poked her a few times, shook her shoulder, blew in her ear: all to no avail. Finally, as a last resort, she opened up her water bottle and tipped the contents over her face.

Jimin's eyes snapped open, spluttering what back up. "Wha-" she said, her face priceless, half way between shocked and utterly confused. Minjeong doubled over, clutching her stomach and laughing.

She wiped her face off with her sleeve. "What was that for?"

"You were drooling," Minjeong said, still giggling, "and people were starting to stare."

"Could've just shook me."

"I tried," she said. "You sleep like the dead. Is it really that hard for you to get up at six?"

Jimin frowned. "Didn't sleep very well."

Didn't sleep at all, more like. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get her mind to shut off, and she'd spent most of the night, rolling over, twisting this way and that in her sheets, until finally she'd given up. At about three o'clock in the morning, she got out of bed, and sat on her kitchen counter, eating nutella out of the jar and letting Jax lick the spoon.

She'd been thinking – endlessly – about the month or so to come. Four times during the night she'd had to stop herself from picking up the phone and telling Minjeong it was a mistake. She was getting anxiety in ways she had not had in a long time:the feeling that someone was taking a wooden spoon to her stomach and stirring her insides up.

Minjeong's smile faded, her head tilted, eyes filling with concern. "Is everything okay?"

"It's fine," Jimin said, quickly. "Just got myself into a bad sleeping pattern, that's all. It'll fix itself."

She narrowed her eyes as if she didn't believe her, but nodded anyway. "Plenty of time to sleep on the plane."

**

"Jesus, Jimim, I knew your parents were, like, minor celebrities, but this is just excessive."

Maybe she should have prepared her for this. Jimin hadn't taken a flight in years, and she'd forgotten that there was only one way her parents liked to travel: in the upmost comfort and style. Minjeong had followed Jimin into in the cabin and taken one look at the plush, leather seats with miles of leg room, the big televisions, and the food trolleys full of expensive looking things, and her eyes had bugged out.