In Too Deep

Waking up next to Minjeong was becoming harder and harder.

On the fifth day of their little holiday, Jimin slipped out of the bed earlier than usual, sneaking down the stairs and outside, sinking down to sit on the porch steps. She wrapped her arms around herself to warm herself in the cool morning air, drumming her legs up and down. Jax had finally forgiven Jimin for the plane flight, and followed her outside, mewing gently at her feet. Jimin scratched her behind the ears.

"Jax, I'm in so much trouble," she mumbled.

Every day Jimin felt like Minjeong's scent was sticking to her skin. No matter how many times she showered, she'd never managed to get the smell of her to leave her, and the worst part was that she didn't want it to go. She'd found herself drifting into fantasy all too often, imagining what their life would be like if all of this was real: waking up together in one of their apartments, making breakfast together, being in each other's space every single day.

Jimin had woken that morning as the sun filtered through the window, the birds beginning to chirp outside. Minjeong was still fast asleep on the bed, her head lolling to the side, hair splayed in wisps around the pillow. Her mouth was slightly parted, tiny snores emerging as she breathed in a steady rhythm. Not for the first time - or the second, third or even fourth time - she thought about kissing her. She knew exactly how she'd do it. She'd run her fingers through her hair, cup her cheek and slowly brush her lips against hers, her eyes shut as she let herself melt against her. The more she saw her dewy eyed, hair a mess from sleep, wearing nothing but a loose shirt and shorts, the worse the fantasies got.

Then she remembered that watching people sleep was creepy as hell, and she high-tailed it out of the room as quickly as possible.

"I'm in too deep," she muttered, as Jax rubbed her body against Jimin's legs, crying out for attention.

She was being unfair to Minjeong, and she knew that well. She'd asked so much of her over the past month, and she'd done everything and more to rise to the occasion. There weren't enough drinks in the world to thank her for this.

"Jimin-shi?"

Speak of the devil. Jimin turned to find Minjeong, wrapped in a blanket, and leaning against the stair banisters just in front of the open door. She was still half-asleep, her eye lids at half-mast as she blinked at her, bleary-eyed.

"What are you doing up so early?" she said, and then covered her mouth as she stifled a yawn.

"I dunno," Jimin mumbled. "Catching the morning breeze. Watching the sunrise. Jax was getting a little antsy so..."

As if on cue, Jax bark loudly, and Jimin scratched him behind the ears as thanks for backing up her pathetic excuse.

"You never used to get up this early," Minjeong muttered, stumbling out onto the porch, and sinking down next to him.

Jimin kept her eyes straight forward. She couldn't tell her that she was the reason she was rushing out of bed every morning. Luckily for her, Minjeong kept talking.

"I used to have to drag you out of bed every morning," Minjeong said, her breath catching in the chilly morning air. "I'd have to bang on your door until one of your poor flatmates got fed up and let me in."

"Those were the days."

Minjeong wrinkled her nose. "They really weren't. I don't miss being a Jimin alarm clock."

"Now I have my own little furry alarm clock, don't I?" She ran a hand through Jax's fur.

Jax barked indignantly, and strode towards Minjeong for her affection. Minjeong grinned, her voice taking on a high pitch as she scratched behind his ears, "Jimin's such a pain, isn't she? Isn't she?" Jax rubbed his body up against Minjeong's legs, purring contentedly. "Oh, look, he likes me more than you!"