Chapter 4

On Friday morning, I was getting ready anxiously. This was the only day left that I could asked to homecoming. I was hoping that Walker would be the one to ask me. To be fair, he could ask me tomorrow at the spirit game, but that would be a bit weird. I made myself look all cute in the hopes that someone (specifically Walker) would ask me.

I got to school and put my things down. Walker wasn't there yet, but Adam was. He simply said, "Hi Aaliyah," as I walked in, and left. He wasn't trying to distract me or anything.

Eva bombarded me excitedly. "You know that light purple dress I got for hoco?" She said quickly, not giving me time to respond. "Adam said he already has a suit but he's gonna get a purple tie so we can match. I swear, he's too perfect. This is going to be the best day of my life. I'm so excited..."

I tuned her out because I saw a certain someone walking into the classroom. That certain someone was Walker... and he was empty-handed. No sign or flowers in sight.

He met my eyes. "Hey Aaliyah," he said, grinning.

"Hi Walker," I replied. My hopes weren't completely extinguished. Maybe he was going to ask me without a sign later that day. Maybe the flowers were hidden in the front office. Maybe he was going to ask me tomorrow. I got my hopes too high that he would ask me, and now the thought that he might not was heartbreaking.

"And even though I'm getting ready with all you guys, he still asked me if I wanted to get dinner with him beforehand," Eva was still going. "I obviously had to say no, but it was still so sweet of him to ask!" She stopped and looked at me. "Were you even listening?" She scoffed.

"No, I-I was," I assured her, even though I definitely wasn't.

"Well, I'm so excited and tonight I'm going to get my nails done and they're gonna be purple and after the game tomorrow I'm gonna go get my hair done before I go to Teagan's house to get ready..."

I tuned her out again. I grabbed my stuff and walked out.

"What's up with her?" I heard Eva asking Walker.

"I'm not sure," he replied.

I didn't hear any of the rest of their conversation since I had walked out of earshot. I was happy for Eva, I really was, it was just I couldn't handle seeing her having a date and not me. I had really gotten my hopes up that Walker would ask me, and those hopes had gotten extinguished in front of my very eyes. There was still a chance, but I had a gut feeling nothing would happen.

The day went on, and Walker gave no hints that he would be asking me. Before I knew it, I was walking out of the building with no sign, no flowers, and no date to the dance. There was still tomorrow and the spirit game, but I doubted he would ask me. It could've been worse; he could've asked another girl.

Saturday rolled around, and I groaned as I woke up. The game wasn't until 11:00, and it was 8:00, so I had time to lounge around. I laid in bed and felt bad for myself that I didn't have a date for about an hour. At 9:00, I finally picked my lazy butt out of bed and got ready. I had a small breakfast and got dressed, but I didn't bother to look as cute as I did yesterday. The chances of there being a proposal today were astronomically low.

My mom dropped me off at the sports center where the game was at five to eleven. I walked in with Teagan and Charlotte, who had carpooled and gotten there at the same time as me. As they were playing in the pep band, they had to go over to where they were setting up. I found a seat in the bleachers next to Eloise and looked around.

The boys and girls volleyball teams were on the court. The girls were warming up and the boys were in a huddle. I turned my gaze toward the pep band bleachers. Teagan played the flute, so she was setting that up. Charlotte was a percussionist so she was helping to put the drums together.