Chapter 7

On one evening in early December, I got a phone call from Eva while I was reading in my room. I never got calls from Eva. This must be urgent.

When I picked up, I heard a scream from the other end.

"Eva! Eva! What's wrong?" I exclaimed.

"Adam asked me out!" She shrieked.

I breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh my gosh, I heard you scream, and I thought someone was dying."

"No, no one's dying," she replied, giggling.

"So tell me the details," I pressed.

"So he asked if he could call me, and then he just went 'I like you, wanna go out sometime?' and then I was all YES," she explained.

"That's great!" I congratulated. "Where are you guys going?"

"We're gonna go ice skating at the outdoor ice rink downtown next Saturday," she replied excitedly.

"Is he finally going to teach you?" I asked. "You're really bad at skating."

"You can't talk," she shot back. "You couldn't even stand without falling over."

"Well, I'm not going on a date with my boyfriend to go ice skating," I said.

She didn't say anything. I could practically hear her face flushing.

"Lili!" My mom yelled from upstairs. "Let's go, we're getting Chick-fil-A for dinner!"

"Okay!" I called back. "Alright, I gotta go. Bye Mrs. Banks."

Eva sighed. "Bye Mrs. Scobell."

"Shut up," I groaned and hung up the phone.

I went upstairs and slipped on my Air Forces, climbed into my mom's minivan. My four brothers piled in behind me.

I didn't have any sisters, unfortunately. Eva was sort of like a sister to me, but that was just because we were best friends. Walker talked about his older sister sometimes, and I wanted to meet her. Maybe she could be a sister figure for me.

At Chick-fil-A, we stood in line to order. I was holding my one year old brother Zak. I got a text from Walker, and I opened it. It said, "Look behind you." Creepy.

I whipped my head around and looked around. I saw a familiar curly haired boy waving at me from a booth. I waved back, grinning.

He stood up and started walking toward me. I almost gestured for him to turn back, but I didn't; that would've been rude. My parents would not be a fan of a boy coming up to talk to me.

He came up to stand next to me. "Hey," he said, smiling.

"Hi," I replied.

"Who are you?" He asked Zak, poking Zak's nose with his pointer finger.

"That's Zak," I replied. "Say hi!"

My little brother raised one of his small hands and did a waving motion toward Walker.

He waved back. "Hi!" He said in a high-pitched voice. Zak smiled widely and laughed.

"Aww, he likes you!" I said.

My little brother Thomas looked up and saw Walker. "Who's that?" He asked loudly.

My mom turned around after his exclamation. "Who's this, Lili?" She asked me.

"I'm Walker," he answered, holding out his hand for her to shake. Maybe he picked up on my paranoia because he was being especially polite and mannerly.