Chapter 12

Aaliyah's POV

Walker stopped using crutches about a week later in February. He still had a cast, but it didn't look like a normal one. It seemed like something to cover up the burn so it didn't get infected.

Now that Walker and I were both relatively healthy, our parents scheduled another dinner for our families. The Scobells were going to be hosting this time, and they asked us to bring dessert.

"Lili, could you make some chocolate chip cookies for the Scobells before we leave today?" My mom asked me in the afternoon of the dinner.

"Yeah, sure," I replied.

I whipped up some cookies, and we left for the Scobells house. They only lived about ten minutes away, and it was definitely biking distance for me.

Dillan carried the cookies in, and he and Tanner immediately ran away to go do something. I didn't see Walker or Leena right away until they came zooming down the stairs together.

"Aaliyah!" They exclaimed at the same time.

"Hey guys," I replied, laughing a little. "What were you two doing?"

"Nothing," Walker said a little bit too fast. Leena didn't say anything; she just looked at her little brother and smiled proudly.

As my parents hugged Walker and thanked him for the billionth time for saving my life, I thought about how something was up with him. First Adam, now Leena. Not to mention how suspicious Walker himself was acting.

I had to forget it, as dinner was ready. We were having barbecue.

I sat down in between Leena and Walker, my two favorite Scobells. Similar to last time, Tanner and all of my brothers, excluding Zak, went up to Tanner's room to go play or whatever those boys did. Our parents and Leena were having another conversation I didn't understand, this time about the state of the economy or something.

I leaned over to whisper in Walker's ear. "Are you bored?"

"Obviously," he whispered back. "Let's go up to my room."

We stood up together, put our plates in the sink, and bolted up the stairs. My parents didn't disapprove of me hanging out one on one with him anymore since they loved him anyway.

Walker's room was simple, with a bed, bookshelf, wardrobe, desk, and closet. He had pictures hanging on a bulletin board, which was over his desk. The pictures were mostly of his friends and family.

"Aww, look at how cute you are!" I pointed out a picture of Walker posing with Ryan Reynolds at one of their shoots.

"Yep," he said, a little embarrassed.

The next picture I saw was a familiar one. It seemed to have been taken at the school gym. During homecoming. It was a picture of the two of us dancing.

"Where'd you get this?" I asked.

His face reddened. "Teagan sent it to me," he replied, trying to avoid eye contact.

"That was really fun," I said quietly.

"Yeah."

There was definitely some tension between us right then, so I diverted my attention to another picture that was attached to the board.