Chapter 10

Walker's POV

I watched the ambulance until it was out of sight, and I turned my attention to my leg, which was in serious pain. It looked like a piece of my pant leg had burnt off, revealing a huge burn on the whole side of my leg. It looked disgusting, and my skin looked charred and almost leathery.

"Holy shit," Adam muttered when he saw my leg. "That does not look good."

One of the paramedics who stayed behind to help with any other injuries ran over to me to examine my leg.

"We can't treat this here," the paramedic said, hurriedly wrapping up my leg in some gauze. "It's hard to tell, but this might be a third-degree burn."

"Oh my gosh," I mumbled to myself. This night really couldn't get any worse.

"Does anybody have a car we could drive?" The paramedic asked. "We need to get him to the hospital for treatment."

"Use mine," said Eva, who I could tell was struggling not to cry again. She threw the keys to her car to the paramedic.

"Let us come with you," Aryan and Leah insisted. "Eva's car is big enough."

"Alright," said the paramedic. "But you both will have to wait in the waiting room."

Aryan and Leah nodded and helped me into the front seat. My leg hurt more and more by the second, and the burn felt deep. If I had to guess, I would also say it was a third-degree burn.

I started to cry again. Not because of the pain, but because I was going to be fixed up in the same hospital Aaliyah was in. In that hospital, she might die, and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

When we got to the hospital, I recognized the same ambulance that Aaliyah had just been driven away in. Before anyone could stop me, I limped over to the ambulance driver.

"Is she going to be okay?" I asked desperately.

"I'm gonna be honest with you, bud," the driver said sadly. "I'm not sure."

My knees buckled. I almost fell to the ground, had Aryan and Leah not caught me. I couldn't even feel the pain in my leg anymore. Aaliyah needed to survive.

"Come on," the paramedic said. "We need to get your leg fixed up."

Aryan and Leah helped me walk into one of the nearest rooms, and I laid down on the bed. Before any of the doctors could even begin to help my leg, I fell into a much needed sleep.

I woke up in a hospital bed in an empty room. It took me a few seconds before I remembered all that had happened the night before. I could feel that my leg was wrapped up in some sort of cast, but it didn't hurt too badly.

"Oh good, you're awake." A nurse walked into the room. "Your friends have been in the waiting room all night."

I sat bolt upright. "Is Aaliyah okay?" I asked.

"She hasn't woken up yet, but yes, she should be just fine," she told me.

I lay back down and breathed a sigh of relief. Aaliyah was going to be okay. I was going to see her again.

"That was a very heroic thing you did," the nurse said, starting to examine my leg. "She would've died if you hadn't gotten her out of there."

"Well, good thing I did," I said.

"You must really like her," she said, a mischievous smile gracing the nurse's lips.

"W-what? No, I-I don't," I sputtered. I facepalmed internally. I was an awful liar.

The nurse simply looked at me and chuckled to herself. "You were the only one brave enough to risk their life to save her. Seems like you care about her." I didn't answer.