Chapter Eight: Eye Catching

The sound of your alarm going off severed you from your slumber as your eyes snapped open, and you let out a quiet groan in frustration. You then reached to your right to blindly reach for your phone, feeling its vibrations against your fingertips once you found it, and you quickly grabbed it before stoping your alarm.

Your eyes squinted at the sudden light, and you adjusted your phone's brightness before glancing, still with squinted eyes, at the time.

7:38 AM.

"Fuck," You mumbled, your eyes widening as you realized how late you woke up. That damn alarm, you cursed to yourself, eyebrows furrowing in annoyance. And that dread you had of being late heightened when you saw a notification from iMessage on your lock screen.

Miss Ackerman
Today, 6:18 AM
Be sure to arrive early. See you 💋

You knew you were in deep shit.

And quickly, you ripped the covers off of you and scrambled out of bed, running to the bathroom to freshen yourself up and prepare to head to the building and face the disappointed frown on Mikasa's lips.

__________

"Um, excuse me! Apologies, but please move!" You rushed out apologies as you scurried your way through the plenty of people gathered by the entrance, making your way to the elevator with a file containing plenty of crucial papers in hand. You tried your best to not struggle in the heels you wore, which you regret choosing impulsively, but you couldn't help when your feet would wobble slightly, the pace of your steps incredibly sloppy.

"Watch it!" A man, his voice slightly high in pitch yelled after shoving him by accident. You made a quick stop to turn around and face the man to meet his brown eyes and his most prominent attribute, his tousled auburn hair.

"I'm so so sorry, I'm quite in a rush right now!" You squeaked out before turning around and continued making your way to the elevator.

When you finally made it to the top floor, you immediately rushed out the elevator and made your way to the conference room. On your way there, you spotted a familiar blonde, an incredibly familiar one, walking towards your direction.

"O-Oh, Miss Leonhart!" You gasped, stopping in your tracks when she was right in front of you. Her steel blue eyes caught yours before they descended to the file you were firmly holding onto.

"My apologies, ma'am, I-I—"

"Allow me, Miss (L/n)," She spoke, her monotone voice softly bouncing across the halls as she took the file from you.

"Miss Ackerman, she—the meeting—has it begun?" You asked hurriedly, your voice laced with worry and dread.

"It did fourty five minutes ago," She replied nonchalantly, lightly nodding her head. "I had to take over for a while and did the tasks that were supposed to be done by you."

Though emotion was barely evident through her words, you could sense the slightest of spite, aggravating your guilt.

You sighed, murmuring a small "Sorry" as your gaze fell to the tiled floor, only to receive a small hum.

"... She's upset, isn't she?" Your voice shook slightly as you questioned anxiously, referring to your boss.

"She is definitely not happy."

"Fuck," You murmured under your breath, not missing the way Annie subtly raised her brow at you.

You quickly made your way to the conference room with Annie trailing behind you. When you were finally standing by the door, the muffled voices of who you assumed to be partners and clients, and of course, Mikasa, reached your ears.