frogs

At the camp, Lori was giving Carl a haircut while Melody sat nearby, remembering when her mother used to cut her hair. Carl was struggling to sit still, but Melody smiled at him.

"I'm trying," Carl said, getting more and more frustrated.

"Well, try harder," Lori said, trying to keep a light tone.

"If you think this is bad, wait until you start shaving. That's going to sting. That day will come and you'll be wishing for one of your mother's haircuts," Shane said, trying to lighten the mood.

"I'll believe that when I see it," Carl said, a hint of frustration in his voice. Shane chuckled as Melody smiled.

"I'll tell you what... tomorrow, I'll teach you something special. I'll teach you to catch frogs. And you," Shane said, addressing Melody, "you'll need this," he added, handing her something.

"I've caught a frog before," Carl said, and Melody nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, me too!" she said excitedly.

"I said frogs, plural," Shane explained, emphasizing the fact that catching more than one frog is an artform. "It's not something to be taken lightly. There are ways and means, and few people know about it. I'm willing to share my secrets," he continued, a twinkle in his eye.

Carl looked at Lori, unsure of whether to accept Shane's offer. Melody too, was unsure.

"Oh, it's a one-time offer, bud," Shane said, addressing Carl. "Not to be repeated. I'm already taking Melody, aren't I?" he asked, smirking at her.

"Yes, you are," Melody said excitedly, grinning from ear to ear.

"Why do you need frogs, plural?" Carl asked, seeming confused.

Shane responded, "You ever eat frog legs?"

Melody jumped in, "Yes, daddy used to get frogs all the time. They're so good."

"Amen, girl," Shane agreed, nodding in approval.

Carl, however, was not convinced and said with a disgusted expression, "Eww!".

Lori agreed, saying, "No, he's right. Eww."

Shane couldn't help but laugh at the exchange.

"When you get down to that last can of beans, you'll be loving those frog legs, my dear," Shane said with a mischievous grin. "I can see it now...

"Shane, do you think I could have a second helping, please? Please? Just one?" he mimicked Lori's voice, eliciting a smile from her.

"Yeah, I doubt that," Lori said, still smiling.

Shane chuckled. "Don't worry, Lori. I know me and my girl Melody are going to be dining on some delicious frogs," he said with a wink.

"Don't listen to her, man. You and me, we'll be heroes. We'll feed these folks cajun-style Kermit legs," Shane said, teasing Carl as he leaned back.

Lori smiled and said, "I would rather eat Miss Piggy."

Shane laughed, "That came out wrong. Sorry, Carl."

Melody looked confused, unsure of who or what "Miss Piggy" is.

"Heroes, son, spoken of in song and legend. You both and me, Shane, Carl, and lil ol Melody," Shane said, trying to convince Carl to take him up on his offer.

Carl and Shane share a laugh before their conversation is interrupted by a car alarm beeping. Suddenly, someone yells, "Hey, Dale, can you see what that is?" Dale, who is perched on top of his RV looking through a pair of binoculars, is startled and turns around.