wishing well

The next thing Mellody knew, they were at a grave for a man named Otis. He accidentally shot Carl, who was now inside the house and recovering. A nice man named Hershel was letting them camp out on his farm while they look for Sofia. Mellody was standing next to Archie, who stood next to Daryl. Apparently, Otis and Shane went to get medicine. Then Shane came back, but Otis didn't. Mellody hadn't met Otis but she heard that he was a nice guy.

Now, Mellody was sitting on the grass, playing with a stick. She was the only kid who wasn't missing or hurt--she wasn't counting Archie, since she didn't think he was really a kid. She was pretty sure he was a teen now.
"Hey Mell, come see this," Archie yelled out to her. Archie was referring to the fact that they were going to send Glen down a well.

Mellody looked up-- but now she was even more confused. Archie led her to a well with a gross-looking walker inside of it.
Shane was tying a rope around Glen's waist, while Dale and Andrea held the other end of the rope. Mellody surmised that Glen was going to tie the rope around the walker to get it out of the well.

Archie stood off to the side, his hands propped on his hips. He looked like he was really enjoying himself.
"You look like you're enjoying this," Andrea said, half-smiling at him.
"Yeah, you're sending Glen down there. I want to watch. Don't die, man," Archie said half-jokingly.
"Thanks?" Glen replied, his voice betraying his nervousness.

"You people are crazy," a woman with short brown hair said. Mellody believes she saw her once before, and that she was Maggie, Hershel's daughter.
"You want to get it out of your well or not?" Shane said, sounding a bit upset.

"Give us an eye there, Maggie...Mell, stay back!" Dale said, gesturing for Mellody to move away from the well.
Maggie walked up to the well and looked down at the disgusting walker. As Glen slowly lowered himself into the well.
"Holy shit, I didn't think he had the balls to actually go down there," Archie said quietly, but Maggie shot him a look, sort of telling him to shut up.

Maggie leaned closer, crouching down.
"Are you doing okay?" Maggie asked in a concerned tone.
"Yeah, I'm doing great," Glen said, his voice sounding sarcastic and scared. He was clearly struggling.
Mellody looked away, not wanting to watch the whole thing.

"A little lower," Maggie said, and Shane, Dale, Lori, Andrea, and T-Dog lowered Glen even more down the well. Glenn was now face-to-face with the walker.
"That thing is nasty," Archie said, shaking his head while he looked at the walker. He had an expression of disgust and fright on his face.
Suddenly, there was a breaking sound. Archie looked back and saw that the rope had snapped.
Glen screamed, terrified out of his mind.

"Get it; grab it!" a bunch of people yelled. Archie ran forward and grabbed the rope to prevent Glenn from falling down too far.
"Get me out of here!" Glenn yelled, his voice filled with panic and fear. Mellody stepped back, her hands trembling.
Everyone pulled with all their might to pull Glenn back to the surface.

Glen yelled, and Mellody looked in the direction of his voice. She saw him struggling in the well, trying his best to get out.
Finaly, after a lot of effort, Glen managed to pull himself out of the well.
"Are you ok?" Mellody yelled, sounding worried.
Shane pulled him away from the well and stood beside him, waiting to make sure he was alright.

Glen panted heavily, clearly exhausted and scared. Everyone crowded him, including Archie, who didn't seem to know what to do. Glen was on all fours, panting, and he looked like he really didn't want a bunch of people crowding around him.
"Back to the drawing board," Dale said with a note of disappointment in his voice.
However, Glen looked up with a big smile on his face, evidently happy to be out of the well.

"Says you," Glen said, panting heavily and struggling to stand up. Archie looked down the well and saw that the walker had the rope tied around him.
"He did it!" Archie said, nodding. Glen handed the rope to Dale, the walker snarled and moaned.
Everyone started to pull the walker out with as much force as they could, while Mellody stood off to the side, watching.

"Come on guys, pull!" T-Dog shouted, trying to encourage everyone to pull harder.
"We are pulling, dumbass, what do you think we're doing?" Archie shouted back, annoyed.
Everyone pulled harder, and they saw the walker's head emerging from the well.
"Almost there!" Shane yelled.
They kept pulling, and soon they saw the entire body emerge from the well.
There was a sudden ripping sound, and the top half of the walker was ripped apart and pulled out. The bottom part fell back into the well.

"Shit," Archie said. Everyone looked really disappointed.

"Are you alright? You look kinda sick," Dale said, checking up on Archie. Archie looked pale, and when Dale asked if he was alright, he leaned over and threw up. Everyone looked away.
When he was done, he stood back up and pointed at the walker.
"That shit was nasty," he said, his tone full of disgust and disbelief.
"We should seal off this well," Dale said, glancing back at it.

"Yeah, might be a good idea," Shane said, scratching his head.
"So what do we do about--" Andrea was starting to say, when T-Dog suddenly started hitting the walker with an ax.
"Oh wow," Archie exclaimed, his eyes narrowing as he squinted at the sight.

"Good thing we didn't do anything stupid like shoot it," T-Dog said, his voice dripping with sarcasm and annoyance. He threw the axe down and walked away, clearly not happy.
Mellody looked up at Archie, who was watching Shane as he walked away. Archie had a disgusted look on his face, and Mellody decided not to bring it up.
"Where's Daryl?" Mellody asked, hoping to distract Archie and get his mind off of whatever was bothering him.

"Looking for Sofia," Archie said, turning back and looking down at her.
Mellody bit her top lip, unsure how to ask her next question. She didn't want anyone else to hear what she had to say.
"Do you think he's going to find her?" Mellody asked softly.
"Not sure, she might be dead. It's been days," Archie said, sounding worried for Sofia.

Mellody nodded, knowing that Carol was worried sick. Maybe her mom would be just as worried if she knew what was going on, but she didn't know if her mom was even still alive.
Archie glanced over and saw Maggie and Glenn on horses, headed out to get supplies.

"Hey Mell, why don't you go talk to Carol? She could use some comfort," Archie said. He sounded like he wanted Mellody to leave him alone. Mellody nodded and walked over to where Carol was sitting on a log, clearly worried sick about Sofia.
"Hi Carol," Mellody said softly, her voice filled with empathy. Carol looked up, her face worried but trying to hide it. She flashed a weak smile, then looked back down.

"What did you do before?" Mellody asked, trying to change the subject and take Carol's mind off of Sofia.
"What?" Carol asked, clearly confused.
"What did you do for a job?" Mellody asked in a hopeful tone.
"I wanted to be a teacher like my mom," Mellody continued, her voice filled with a bit of sadness and nostalgia.

"Oh, I was a housewife. I cleaned, took care of Ed, and Sofia," Carol said, her smile disappearing.
"Guys, guys!" Andrea said, putting her laundry basket down. She looked into the woods, hoping to find Daryl. And just like a miracle, Carol's prayers were answered. Daryl was finally walking back, and he was holding somebody. Not just anybody, it was Sofia.

"My baby!" Carol yelled with tears welling in her eyes. She ran forward, and Daryl set Sofia down. Sofia ran towards her mom, her doll in her hand.
"Mommy!" she exclaimed, running into Carol's arms. Sofia hugged her tightly. Shane and Andrea ran behind them and stopped behind Carol. Daryl was already right next to Archie, their eyes locked as they looked on at the heartwarming scene.

"Where was she?" Shane asked, scratching his head.
"In a house a mile or a two south. She was eating tuna," Daryl replied, his crossbow slung over his shoulder.
Carol cried and held Sofia tightly in her arms, unable to contain her emotions as she felt pure bliss and relief.