ricky

Archie looks out the door and sees Dr. Jenner leading the group into the big room. Archie follows him in, along with Daryl, as Dr. Jenner walks over to the computer.

"Give me a playback of TS-19," Jenner said, looking at the big screen.

"Playback of TS-19." The robot replied, beeping as it initiated the playback.

"Few people ever got a chance to see this. Very few," Jenner says, standing with his hands on his hips as he looks at everyone.

On the wall, an oversized display shows various 3D views of human skulls.

"Is that a brain?" Mellody asks, holding her doll close to her chest while standing next to Dale. Dale has his hands on her shoulder in what appears to be a comforting gesture.

"An extraordinary one, not that it matters in the end," Jenner says, looking to Mellody with a hint of disappointment on his face.

"Take us in for E.I.V.," he says, as a response to an unknown voice.

"Enhanced Internal View," the VI confirms, as the picture on the wall changes to a more detailed view of a human brain.

The main screen changes to show the upper shoulders and head of the subject. The screen skews to a horizontal view before increasing the magnification more and more. The image becomes more and more detailed, giving a glimpse into the inside of the skull. It appears to be lit with bright blue threads of energy, with some areas being denser with light than others.
But there are lighted threads throughout the skull. As the image zooms in, the detail can be distinguished more clearly, as the threads become closer and the pulses of light can be seen.
"What are those lights?" Shane asks, his tone curious. Daryl leans against a table thing, though he appears to be more confused than Archie, who is standing next to him, and is watching the screen intently.

At the same time, Mellody still stands next to Dale with her doll, but it seems she's too focused on these strange lights to notice much else around her.

"It's a person's life-experiences, memories, and everything. Somewhere within all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you--the thing that makes you unique and human," Jenner declares.

"Do you ever make sense?" Daryl says, his arms crossed. He seems a bit agitated.

"Those are stimuli. Electrical," Jenner replies, pointing to the parts of the brain that carry all the messages.

"They determine everything a person says, does, or thinks from the moment of birth to the moment of death," Jenner continues as he walks around the big screen.

Jenner looks back at the screen, where he can see everyone's faces as they process this new information. Rick approaches a bit closer and asks, "Death? That's what this is... a vigil?"

"Yes," Jenner replies, turning but not enough to actually look at Rick, but just to glance. But that's enough for Rick to get his attention.

"This person died? Who?" Andrea asks, sounding sad. Archie doesn't know why they're so sad, since they never met the person on the big screen.

"Test subject 19. Someone who was bitten and infected, and who volunteered to have us record the process," Jenner says, still with his back toward the group. "VI, Scan forward to the first event," he requests, which is what the VI does as the screens starts playing in fast-forward.

"Scanning to first event," the VI confirms via a beeping noise.

The screen shows a message that reads, "Scanning Forward." The brain still has lights flickering in the outer areas, but the center has become dark as if black roots were starting to grow inside.