xxxviii

The rumour mill went crazy after the accident; some people believed they saw Regina push Cady in front of the bus, others believe that she had organised the bus to come. None of the rumours were true, mind you. It was all a massive unfortunate (... or maybe not so unfortunate?) coincidence that no one could have predicted.

No one knew the fate Cady met, but the school held a candlelight vigil and treated it as if she had died. Phoebe and Regina felt pretty bad; if Cady had died it would kind of be their fault. They payed their respects, silently standing amongst the others as the choir performed a sad song. People cried and mourned the loss of the redhead girl who hadn't even been at the school for a whole semester yet, though had made a large impact on the cliques. Since the full blame of the Burn Book was on Cady, the whole situation resolved by itself soon after. Everyone agreed that getting hit by a bus was punishment enough, so they let it slide.

-

"Wait, she's alive guys!" Someone announced in class a few days after the fact. Everyone turned around, gasping. They all knew exactly who the person was talking about and were shocked to find out she was still kicking after being hit by a bus at full force.

Despite her miraculous survival, Cady ultimately decided not to return back to the school after everything had gone down, which Regina and Phoebe rejoiced about, glad that there was at least a small amount of drama leaving their lives.

-

Janis and Damien had quickly gotten over their friendship with Cady, completely writing her off after the double stunt she had seemingly pulled. Janis had also realised what a huge mistake she had made by wronging Phoebe; Phoebe was always there for her, even when the rest of the school was making fun of her all those years. Phoebe has never wronged Janis and would never, and it wasn't her fault she was infatuated with the queen bee. Thus, she began to miss her and moped around, which Damien took notice of.

It had been a week since the Burn Book incident, and things began settling back down. Damien, who Phoebe was more impartial to as he hadn't directly done anything to her, began to plant the idea in Phoebe's head that she should forgive Janis. Phoebe was adamant at first that she wouldn't, but after Damien told her about how bad Janis felt and how low she had been acting without the brunette, she agreed to at least hear her out.

Regina, on the other hand, was concerned about this and told her she shouldn't do it. Phoebe rarely stuck up for herself, and she truly saw the good in everyone - even Regina, who had been nothing but mean to her but still gave her a chance. Phoebe begged and begged her to be on the same page, but the only way Regina would agree is if she could be there as well, just in case. She felt an even more increased need to protect the brunette - after all, she had saved her life the week prior.

-

At lunch on the following Monday, they all met up behind the bathrooms on the oval. As Regina and Phoebe approached, Phoebe grew nervous; she began picking at her fingernails, an anxious habit she had picked up. Regina, noticing this, grabbed Phoebe's hand in an effort to stop the habit but also calm her down. Phoebe gave Regina a nervous smile, to which Regina returned. "It'll be okay. I'll be here with you in case you need some moral support." Phoebe grinned at her girlfriend's words, comforted.

Janis and Damien were already waiting at the spot when the two girls approached. Damien shot Phoebe a small smile, to which Phoebe returned. Janis also slightly grinned, grateful her ex friend had shown up. Phoebe walked up to the two, while Regina stayed a bit behind, her arms crossed and watching intently.

The group was silent, both parties waiting for the other to speak up. Damien then elbowed Janis, urging her to speak. Janis cleared her throat, "Uh, hi."
"Hi." Phoebe returned expectantly.
"Look, Phoebe. I'm really sorry about my big blowup. I guess I just couldn't handle the fact that you were so close with the one person I hate. And, I know I shouldn't have tried to break it up, I would never want to hurt you!"
"But you did, though! I really love Regina, and it hurt so much that my best friend didn't support it and was actively trying to sabotage it."
"I know," Janis said in a low voice, hanging her head in shame, "I feel really bad. I never should have done that. I swear, if I could go back and do it differently I would! I let my emotions take over my thoughts and acted irrationally."
"Yeah, you really did. You always do this. Every time someone slightly wrongs you, you go all out and wrong them 10 times worse."
"I know, and I'm working on it I promise. Please, is there any way you'll give me a second chance?" Janis begged, searching Phoebe's eyes for any sign of softness. Phoebe turned back to Regina, wanting to see what her opinion was. Regina shrugged; she had too been wronged by Janis, but it was Phoebe's choice whether she would give her another chance. She would support her either way.

Phoebe turned back to Janis, "Fine, you get a second chance. But if you try anything ever again, it's over for real!" She warned. Janis grinned hugely as Damien clapped, happy to see his friends making up. Janis held open her arms, cautiously approaching Phoebe for a hug and writing for a reaction. Phoebe rolled her eyes and nodded, giving Janis the 'okay' to hug her. Janis learned in, giving the girl a tight squeeze. Phoebe laughed, damn, she must really have missed me!

Regina and Damien stood together, watching with their hands over their hearts and 'awww'ing at the two girls who were still hugging. Janis then pulled away, embarrassed at her affection. "Okay, so are we good?" Janis nervously asked.

"Oh, there's a long way until we're good." Phoebe laughed.