xliii

At lunch, Phoebe sat at the Plastics table again. Before Regina joined them, Phoebe exchanged congratulatory conversations with Gretchen and Karen, who both sweetly reciprocated it. She sort of felt bad for the two girls as they were always nominated but never won, Regina always taking the crown.

Regina sat down next to Phoebe, a tray of cafeteria food in her hands. She set it down as Gretchen and Karen congratulated the blonde on her nomination. Regina smiled, relishing in the positive attention. Phoebe, noticing this, laughed. Regina turned to her, a questioning look etched on her face. "What?" She asked.
"Nothing, just I know you love all these compliments." She laughed. Regina nodded, very self aware.

Then, the topic shifted to the Candy Cane grams, which were being sent out later that day. "Did you guys send any out?" Gretchen asked Regina and Phoebe. Phoebe shook her head, though she actually had; she had bought one each for Janis and Damien, as was tradition, and three different ones for Regina, all with a sweet message attached. She knew Regina would get a bunch of candy canes, so she wanted hers to stand out against the sea of other ones.
Regina nodded, "Yep! Only one, though." She said, turning towards Phoebe. Phoebe grinned.
"Wait, so you didn't get me any?" Regina asked her girlfriend, slightly hurt.
Phoebe just shrugged, "You'll have to wait and see." She replied nonchalantly as Regina smirked knowingly.

-

In the next class, Damien was absent; he would be the one handing out the candy canes to the students.

In the middle of the Ms Morcox's lesson, Damien came barging in, dressed in a Santa costume. "Candy cane grams!" He announced in a spot on impression of Santa Claus. Phoebe and Janis laughed at their friend, amused by his theatrics. Ms Morcox paused her lesson for a second, allowing Damien to hand out the candy canes.

"Two for Janis Imi'ike!" He bellowed, dramatically bestowing the two candy canes to her. Janis bowed her head as she accepted the candy canes, playing along. Damien then walked towards Phoebe, "And seven for Phoebe Samuels? You go Phoebe!" Phoebe's eyes widened; who sent her all these? She knew at least three were from Janis, Damien, and Regina, but what about the other ones? She took the candy canes from Damien, whispering a "thank you" before investigating the messages. Soon after, Damien left and Ms Morcox continued on with her lesson, but Phoebe was distracted by the candy canes she had been given. One by one, she read each of the notes:

"Merry Christmas, loser. Love you - Janis" Phoebe grinned at this one, mouthing a thank you to Janis, who nodded in response.
"Merry Christmas Bestie! Love, Damien." Phoebe smiled again while reading this one.
"I love you more than I love myself - Regina xoxo." Phoebe snickered, at least she was self aware!
"Lmk if you and Regina ever need a third - Dacre." Phoebe grimaced, ew.
"You're hot. Call me when you and Regina split up - Miley." Phoebe snickered; it looked like she had a few admirers.
"Merry Christmas pretty girl - Gina." Another one from Regina? Wow, Phoebe thought, she never sent any to anyone, and here I am getting more than one!
"Okay, third one. Only because there was a deal - Gina ❤️"

Phoebe tucked the notes and candy canes in her bag pocket. She would show Regina Dacre and Miley's notes; she knew Rehina would have a flaming reaction, and she was honestly kind of excited to see how the overprotective girl would react.

-

"I don't understand why the Spring Fling is before Christmas. It's still Winter, right?" Karen asked at lunch, dumbfounded. Phoebe nodded in agreement; the girl had a point. Why would it be called the Spring Fling and not the Winter Ball or something?
"You know, I think that's the most intelligent thing you've ever said." Janis replied.
"Thanks!" Karen grinned, unaware at the backhandedness of Janis' statement.

Regina turned to Phoebe, "So, did you get my candy canes?" She asked shyly.
"Yes! Thank you so much. They were so sweet!" Phoebe gushed, "Did you like mine?" She had written three things she loved about Regina on each of the notes.
"Of course! I love you so much." Regina leaned into Phoebe, resting her head on the shoulder.
"Love you too." Phoebe smiled. Janis made a gagging noise, causing both Regina and Phoebe to glare at the girl.

"So, did you get any others?" Regina asked Phoebe.
Phoebe nodded, "Yeah, ones from Janis and Damien and then this guy Dacre who asked if we needed a third, and another from Miley who hit on me."
Regina flared her nostrils and lifted her head up from its place on Phoebe's shoulder, "First of all, ew. Second of all, Miley need to be put in her place. She thinks she can hit on my girlfriend? No way." She got up, storming over to the "wannabe Plastics" table, where Miley was sitting.

Regina walked up behind Miley and cleared her throat, which caused Miley to turn around. Miley cowered when she locked eyes with the blonde. "I saw that little note you left my girlfriend." Regina growled, crossing her arms and glaring. "Yes, and?" Miley said, standing her ground.
Regina's eyes widened in rage, "Get up now, bitch." She roared. Miley obliged. They stood face to face, though Regina towered over Miley.
"Stay away from my girlfriend! Or, there'll be serious consequences."
"Oh yeah? Like what?"
"I will ruin you." Regina slowly threatened, stepping closer to her in efforts to intimidate. Phoebe watched from afar; she loved how protective Regina was, though it could sometimes be a little much. Miley gulped nervously, then mumbled a measly "okay, sorry," before speeding off. Regina smirked in success. She then strutted back to the Plastics table; all eyes were on her.

She returned to her seat, settling back down with a sly grin on her face. Phoebe grinned at her girlfriend, "I love it when you protect me." She gushed.
"Well, it seems like you always need protecting." Regina teased, as Phoebe blushed. They then both went back to eating their lunch and talking about the Spring Fling with the others.