Goodbye

Today I found myself reflecting on a word that, despite its simplicity, carries an immeasurable weight: goodbye.

It's curious how it spans through time and civilizations, remaining unchanged in its meaning and impact.

Goodbye is timeless, a universal truth that we all face at some point in our lives. It's a constant reminder of transience. And even though it hurts, even though it leaves scars on our souls, we have to move forward.

Over the years, I have given and received so many temporary "goodbyes" that sometimes I wonder if we ever get used to them.

I have an obligation to know how to deal with the time to say goodbye because as an idol, it's part of my everyday life: farewells at airports, on stage, in dressing rooms. So you might think it's easy for me, right? But it's not.

I believe it isn't for anyone. From my shortlist, perhaps this is the word people hate the most, and like death, we're never ready to say goodbye to someone, no matter the extent of the farewell.

But no "goodbye" was as painful as the one I had to say to Hunter.

He was more than just a cat; he was part of my childhood, my loyal fluffly friend. We shared so many moments together, so much love and affection, that when the time came to say goodbye, it felt like a part of me was being ripped away. But I'm glad he waited for me to bid him farewell. His eyes, so full of feline wisdom, stared at me for the last time, in my arms before my heart shattered into a thousand pieces.

It was my first direct encounter with death.

I may not yet know the pain of losing any family member, but I know it's inevitable. A goodbye that isn't the same as "see you later, maybe never" is an "I'll never see you again" and it's true.

And then there's the "goodbye" that repeats daily in my personal life: the goodbye to my love.

Our story is formed by a succession of farewells and few hellos, an endless wave of arrivals and departures.

Every time we say goodbye, a part of me wishes it were the last time, that we could finally find a path together without more goodbyes. But reality is cruel, and we're forced to part ways once again, carrying with us the uncertainty of what the future holds.

Still, I don't want to rewrite our story.

Our lines, if they weren't so crooked, wouldn't have met.

But why are we doomed to say goodbye, if when we're together, your head on my lap is your home?

How can I know where we're going? Why do we have to invent new goodbyes if it's already love?

The words are becoming hard to say.

When I follow your gaze as you kiss my wrist, whispering, "I could stay here all day, but I have to go."

Do you really have to go?

Because I'm not sure.

If you love me, don't go.

I still want you.

I still need you.

Goodbye is only unforgettable because it's part of the cycle of life, but it doesn't need to, it shouldn't be part of our story.

I let goodbye go.

But not you.

Don't forget to vote :D