Chapter 20

Ishaan and Pratik was at the door to help them with their luggage as they made their way to Grand crystal which seemed like a deserted area. Adya doubted, "Are we headed in the right direction?"

"Yes." Pratik stiffened as they approached a check point. "You two only nod your head. Each of you pair with us."

Srishti nodded, taking her place beside Ishaan and Adya stood along Pratik, hesitantly. They were passed through a screening gate and Pratik smiled at the security guard, "We are headed to meet the folks."

"And the new visitors?" The guard glared at them. 

"Our companions." Pratik politely informed and the girls nodded. 

"Well, congratulations. You may face scan and enter." 

"They followed the instruction and walked ahead. Pratik informed, "We will not be able leave this way because on our return, we will have the most wanted person with us."

The girls nodded as they went ahead to the food stall to enquire about nearest stay and self-help camps.

Pratik and Ishaan came back with a list of possible places the last winner could be hiding or resting at. "We divide into pairs so that we can go through all these places before the crack of dawn, also don't be suspicious to the common people here because you know... even the walls have ears and if Adrima's people find them first, it is simply hopeless to fight since they will take over this land forever for unwanted business to be carried out."

Ishaan clarified the plan. "The information is from a confirmed source, so we find the heir and while we take him back, you both will take your leave—"

"Why would we leave so soon?" Srishti rolled her eyes. 

Adya whispered, "We leave after we help them and this is the only help they need from us."

"We will be going out this land through another gate, so from there we will open up the portal for you and you guys will wake up in bed as you would have only missed a day at your house." Pratik rubbed his palms while Ishaan completed, " Once you get back, this whole tale will be a myth again like the rest of the tales."

"That means... the people who have come here, end up knowing and telling these stories with no evidence to prove it true. So that means..." Srishti shuddered, "My father—"

"What are these young folks doing in this land?" An old lady enquired while her companion put on, "We have not seen you here before."

"We are from the other side of the river and is here to meet our friend." Ishaan politely bowed and others followed.

"Which address do you want to find?" The woman was quite stubborn to drive them away from their land.

"It's straight from here. We got the directions from the vendor." Pratik smiled like they meant no harm and as the women left , Adya doubted, "Aren't you known by the tribe in your own land?"

"We are known because we are the next in line to fight the battles to win the title of 'Heir' but this land is often isolated as if they are in their own world, living with agriculture, medicinal preparation... more like the places you would go for a staycation, away from the real busy world."

"Since you guys are being trained, why would we bring the last heir?" Adya scratched her chin and Ishaan concluded, "Because we can't take a chance. This is a matter of survival and we need to learn even the smallest tricks from him and may be he can help us with tactics and more ideas. Afterall he is an experienced and good old man. So let us get started."

Adya stepped back, "So I assume, Ishaan is pairing with Srishti so of course, I have no other choice."

"You actually do," Pratik split the list, "You can go on your own and be lost."

"Are you underestimating me?" Adya rolled her sleeves.

Srishti sighed, "Guys, please! Then should I go with Pratik."

All eyes turned to Ishaan and he immediately looked away. 

Srishti took hold of Ishaan's hand and took off like a fury, "You guys, we are beginning. Meet us right here when you finish."

***

Through  all the paths, they were taken to comfortable places handled by innocent and ordinary people who had no idea who they were searching for. Srishti was sitting under a tree while Ishaan brought her a glass of water. He sat down beside her, "What were you saying?" 

"Huh?" She looked at him, gulping the water.

"Your father— " He always made sure to hear her.

"You were saying about the people who have come here, ended up knowing and telling these stories with no evidence to prove it true. So that means my father might have also come here and—"

"He could be the one we are searching for." He nodded like everything was just in place.

"If its my father, I might be selfish." She hated how she felt. "I will take him back with me whatever happens."

"What if he is not ready, what if he doesn't want to leave? Isn't it why he came for us?"

"So it is my father we are searching for?" She smacked her own head. "How come you know everything and I know nothing?" 

Adya ran in, breathing heavily. "We need to go get Pratik. He told me to find you guys."

"Where?" Ishaan jumped up, holding onto Srishti as they followed Adya into a dark street, guarded by tall trees that led them to a little house made of brick. Ishaan had went in to the house with Pratik, who informed that he had a feeling their search would end there. The ancient wall was adorned with a white lettering on the black enamel hung on top of it's main door. The name board was signed off at the bottom with a stenciled autumn leaf.

Srishti crouched and dipped her head on her crossed arms over her knee as she wept. It was in deed him they had to find but how could she leave him here. Shouldn't be selfish and stubbornly take him back, because she want her family. She was desperate to have a home again. 

Wouldn't her father want to go back to his family? Why wouldn't he?

"Because he has promised to save this land until his daughter can reach here so that he could at least let her know all the stories that she fantasized were true and he is finally winning." The familiar yet strange voice came over and Srishti turned to find Ridhan. She immediately grabbed his collar as she got to her feet. "Why did you then destroy my notes and enter the Scarlet woods without informing anyone?"

Adya pulled her apart to help her calm. Ridhan was ready to explain then.

Surya_SK