Chapter 6: Ten Companions

October 25th TA 3018

"Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in Imladris," Elrond spoke. Gandalf's actions had been unexpected but proved necessary as they prevented Boromir from trying to touch the Ring. The air was calm again as the cool autumn wind breezed through, the weather shifting back to how it was before.

"I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond, for the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West!" the Wizard answered, his voice raspy and forced from using the Black Speech. "The Ring is altogether evil!" Gandalf turned back to return to his seat.

However, he turned around in exasperation as Boromir declared unperturbed, "It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor!" The Man stood up from his seat again and began to pace, and Gandalf sat back down, shaking his head. "Why not use this Ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe!" Boromir cried out as he addressed the Council.

"Then you know not of the Rangers of the North, or you remain willfully ignorant." Boromir turned towards Eluin as her voice suddenly spoke out.

Her siblings then joined in. "You do not know the battles they have fought to keep their former realm safe from the enemy." Elladan's voice from beside her was strong. " They are the reason Eriador has thrived after the Watchful Peace." Boromir faced Elrohir, as the other twin stated. Lastly, Arwen also voiced, "Those Rangers are the last remnant of the Dúnedain of Arnor and do not deserve to be forgotten."

Boromir looked towards the four siblings condescendingly while Aragorn wore a look of gratitude. The Rangers were held in extremely high regard among the Elves of Imladris, as their deeds should be honoured, however discreet they may be. Although Elrond had previously disapproved due to his concern as their father, the children of Elrond had still gone riding with the Rangers due to their growing hatred of Orcs and all other servants of Sauron, as well as the evil that plagued Middle Earth. Aragorn, the current Chieftain of the Rangers of the North, hid his smile and made a mental note to express his appreciation later.

Soon, Boromir redirected his attention away from the siblings and towards the Council. "Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him!" he continued in disregard.

"You cannot wield it! None of us can." As Aragorn's voice emerged, it drew Boromir's focus as he looked upon him. "The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master."

"And what would a Ranger know of this matter?" After the siblings had brought up the Rangers, Boromir's voice was venomous as he addressed one of them. Aragorn's face hardened, but before he or the four children of Elrond could jump to his defence, Prince Legolas had beat them to it.

"This is no mere Ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance." The Council looked towards Legolas, who had gotten up to his feet. As Eluin's focus shifted to the Elven Prince, she couldn't help but feel grateful he had defended Aragorn's honour, though she did not openly show it. Boromir had turned to Legolas as he spoke before facing Aragorn again in disbelief after hearing the Prince's words.

"Aragorn? This... is Isildur's Heir?" Eluin saw Aragorn hold his head higher as Boromir's revelation was left hanging. The full weight of his title seemed to be set on his shoulders as the Council began to see the importance of his presence as Isildur's heir amongst them.

"And heir to the throne of Gondor." As she spoke, Eluin's eyes moved from Aragorn to Boromir. The Captian of the White Tower looked upon Eluin once more.

"Havo dad, Legolas. Eluin, daro, (Sit down, Legolas. Eluin, stop,)" Aragorn requested and gestured at the two Elves, not wanting to draw further attention. Boromir turned his sight away from Eluin to look at Legolas and said, "Gondor has no King."