Chapter 15: Frozen Echoes

January 11th TA 3019

"So you're not a Princess?" Pippin's curious voice questioned.

Everyone noticed Eluin's drastic change in demeanour once they had decided to take the Pass of Caradhras. It was an instant shift, her usual calmness and gentle smiles replaced by silent anger and blue eyes icier than the freezing bite of the harsh wind that drifted down from the mountain, yet burning with a fire that could melt all the snow right off the Misty Mountains.

The Wizard and the Ranger knew better than to further anger her; the Captain and Dwarf were too intimidated by her murderous glare; Legolas was too worried for her as he noticed the slight fear amongst the raging flames in her eyes. He walked by her side, taking notice of their Elvish footprints in the snow, or lack thereof, and reaching for his small leather flask from his belt.

The Hobbits, however, cheerful little creatures, Merry and Pippin, took it upon themselves to try and diffuse her tension. Sam had been too shy to try, walking close with Gimli the Dwarf and Bill the Pony. Frodo was further behind the climb, struggling to keep up with the Fellowship. Aragorn stayed in the rear, making sure no one got left behind. Gandalf led the companions as they scaled the snowy path up Caradhras to the Redhorn Pass.

"No, Pippin. I'm not," Eluin replied, trying to reduce the coldness in her voice as she addressed the Halfling. She didn't want to scare the little ones, but she was on the exact path she had taken with her brothers five centuries ago, seeing phantom hoofprints of their horses in the snow.

Echoes of their panicked conversations rang in her head as she barely heard Merry's question. "How does someone become a Princess? Is there any way you can become one, Eluin?" The elleth blinked away her memories as she answered, "You either be born into a monarchy or one of your parents marries a monarch. As for me, I'd have to be granted the title by a monarch, or marry a Prince who hasn't inherited the throne yet." Eluin was a Lady; noble but not royal.

Pippin's voice blurted, "Well, Legolas is a Prince."

Said Prince almost choked on the water from the flask he had brought to his lips, unknowingly falling victim to shock. Legolas coughed, beating his chest with his fist to stop himself. Merry smacked Pippin before quietly scolding the young Halfling, who winced in pain and rubbed the back of his head. Eluin brought her hand to pat Legolas's back, her eyes blinking in surprise.

As Legolas's sudden cough attack subsided, he looked at Eluin with flushed cheeks, as Pippin's words implicated that Eluin could marry Legolas to become a Princess. But his green eyes flickered in surprise, seeing the faint smile gracing her face. The ellon found himself smiling as well. Merry and Pippin stopped bickering after seeing Eluin's gentle smile as wide grins appeared on their faces; the two Hobbits had succeeded in distracting her for at least a moment.

Eluin's hand lingered on Legolas's back as she found his eyes, the sweetness of the lavender playing around the oaky musk where they touched. Pippin's innocent comment about how the ellon beside her was a Prince after she said she'd have to marry one had been unexpected, but it had slightly melted the glaciers in her eyes. Legolas gave her a soft smile as he put his hand on her shoulder and gave it a firm squeeze, both a silent 'thank you' and reassurance. Legolas's warmth against Eluin's cold touch felt familiar as they thought back to three days prior.

The Elves were snapped away from their thoughts at the sudden blur of movement behind them. The Fellowship turned around to see Frodo had lost his footing and tumbled down the snowy slopes. "Frodo!" Luckily, Aragorn had stopped him from rolling down even further. Aragorn helped the Hobbit, who brushed the snow off his clothes before his face twisted into a panic.