Chapter 22: Trial & Terror

January 15th TA 3019

The Wizard had been using Glamdring and the length of his staff in battle. Eluin knew the Istari were forbidden from using a great deal of magic to influence events in Middle Earth, a direct order from the Valar. Yet his presence and combat skills alone were valuable to the Fellowship.

Nocking an arrow, she jumped off the platform, landing light as a feather beside Gandalf. An Orc screeched at her, just a few moments before it got silenced, white-tipped feathers with red specks of its blood, as the Goblin fell to the ground with a thud. Gandalf swung his staff and sword at another, Eluin nimbly ducking from the whirlwind to take a precise shot with her bow at an Orc.

A clang echoed in the chamber, a result of Sam favouring his pan over his shortsword to strike the heads of the Orcs. Another clank as a Goblin winced, as Sam swung the metal pan to its head. "I think I'm getting the hang of this," the Hobbit said before swiping at another Orc.

Pippin's shout was short-lived, followed by the crash of rocks and a rumble in the ground. The Fellowship turned towards the sound, seeing Merry and Pippin separated from Frodo as they jumped aside. The Cave Troll had swung its mace on the stone platform on the other side of the room. The Hobbits staggered on the ground, coughing from the dust cloud that had emerged.

"Frodo!" Aragorn called, voice tight in concern for the Ringbearer. He stabbed at an Orc, the creature screeching as the Ranger's sword went through its stomach. Aragorn began fighting to be closer to Frodo and protect the young Hobbit, clearing the Orcs in his path on the platform.

Eluin glanced up at the platform, hearing the loud roar of the Troll echoing in the chamber. It had grabbed Frodo by the leg as he began to yell for the Ranger frantically, "Aragorn? Aragorn!" "Frodo!" Aragorn shouted. These creatures are always drawn to the Ring, Eluin thought, but in her brief moment of distraction, an Orc managed to evade her sharp senses and tackle her.

Shock filled her eyes as Eluin got pushed from the side, the clumsy Orc hitting her shoulder as they fell. Her bow had escaped from her left grip upon the sudden impact, the grey wood clattering upon the stone floor. She landed on her stomach, grunting as she blinked her eyes open and shook her head to clear her disorientation. With the twin swords sheathed on her back, bow lying by her feet and dagger tucked in her boot, the elleth was unarmed. The Orc that had grappled her was lying a few feet away in front of her, recovering and dragging closer as it stepped back up on its feet. A snarl escaped its mouth, a foul stench filling the air around it.

Upon seeing the blur of azure fall against the grey stone, Legolas flashed his green eyes at her, widening as a knot formed in his heart. An Orc came rushing at the ellon before he could shoot an arrow at the Goblin approaching Eluin. Panic and anger grew as he shoved the Orc back.

Eluin pushed herself up, the leather of her gloves protecting her wrists and palms from scraping against the stone yet allowing her uncovered fingers to feel the chill of the rock. With a blue fury in her eyes, her thoughts echoed, beleg dýgar, Orc. (big mistake, Goblin.)

Her eyes darted to her right, seeing the torch Aragorn had abandoned before the battle lying just beyond her reach. The Orc screeched as it ran at her, and Eluin got into action. She lunged for the torch, swiftly getting on her feet and grabbing it. Eluin dodged the dull blade the Orc swung at her, stepping back to sling the torch as it spun straight into its face. It shrieked in pain, flames scorching its already hideous face as it fell to the floor, the smell of burning flesh in the air.

Grabbing its discarded sword as the metal clanged upon the stone, Eluin spun it before driving the raw edge into its skull, its body twitching on the floor as it took its last breath. Maybe that will warm your cold, dead heart. Well, not like you'd need it anymore.