Chapter 7: A Daughter's Resolve

October 25th TA 3018

"Eluin." Twilight fell along with the red oak leaves of the trees in the garden, fiery orange bleeding into pale hues of lavender as the sun dipped below the horizon. Eluin drew her eyes away from the pages of the book she had been reading as she heard her sister's voice, as soft as the falling leaves. The twins, Elladan and Elrohir, were with Arwen, trailing behind her.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" Eluin greeted her siblings as they came closer. "I believe you owe me a favour instead, little star." Eluin grew still; surely, her sister wouldn't do anything to hinder her decision. She held her breath as she closed the book and set it aside. The choice to join the Fellowship this morning had been spontaneous, a calling to do the right thing.

Eluin stood up from the stone bench before she warned, "Arwen. If you use that favour and tell me I am not to go-" Arwen cut her off, "No, Eluin, I would not do that to you."

"You would do it to us." Arwen snapped her head towards Elrohir, who grew quiet in an instant. The other twin, Elladan, knew better than to try anything else with their sisters, choosing to smirk at his brother instead. Arwen turned her attention back to Eluin, the glare she had given Elrohir melting into a smile as she faced her sister and took her hands.

"I only wish... that you are safe on this journey," Arwen smiled. "Nethel, respectfully, that is a waste of a favour," the youngest jested, causing the elder sister's smile to widen. "All right, all right. Here is my actual request," Arwen laughed, a melody as sweet as those of nightingales.

"Please, watch over Aragorn." Eluin's smile softened as she heard Arwen's favour. Of course, you would ask that of me, Nethel.

"Arwen, I would've done that either way. But I promise you, I will look after him." Eluin gave her sister's hands a tight squeeze. Aragorn and Arwen's love mirrored one of their ancestors before them, Beren and Lúthien. Every Elf knew the tale that ended in a bittersweet tragedy, but Eluin saw it in a different light. At least they remained by each other's side as they passed.

With a gentle smile, Arwen said, "Thank you, Eluin. Now," She turned towards the twins and stepped back to stand beside Eluin, their smiles becoming playful. The brothers sighed in defeat as they prepared to accept whatever Arwen asked. "Go on, Arwen," Elladan consented, "What do you ask of us?" Elrohir complained.

Arwen tilted her head mischievously, "I haven't given it enough thought. Perhaps when you return from Lothlórien, I shall have it ready." "Lothlórien?" Eluin questioned.

"Yes, we are to scout the path to Lórien and inform them of the Fellowship's journey," Elladan responded. So that's why Adar called them to a meeting all day, Eluin realised. "I'm not to go with you?" she inquired.

"Well, Adar wishes you stay in Rivendell in the meantime," Elrohir answered, and Eluin nodded. "I understand, Hanar." Since the Council this morning, Eluin had been avoiding Elrond, but she knew she would have to speak to her father eventually. He would clearly object to her volunteering to join the companions, and Eluin wished to avoid a fight if she could.

"We shall take our leave then, Nethel. Two months at best, and we depart tomorrow at first light," Elladan said before Elrohir smiled, "We shall tell Lórien to expect you. We respect your decision, our brave little star." The twin brothers then left to prepare for their journey tomorrow, and Arwen faced Eluin for the last time tonight. "I shall go and see Aragorn, Luinil." "Good night, Undómiel." The sisters bowed to each other, then went their separate ways. Eluin turned towards the bench to pick up her book before heading towards the library to return it.