Chapter 20: Shadows of Moria

January 15th TA 3019

The next day, the Fellowship packed up their things and continued on their journey. Breakfast had been a mere morsel of dry bread, leading Merry and Pippin to grumble under their breaths as they quietly complained. The other two Hobbits just shook their heads at their friends.

The companions began to climb a steep staircase, one that more resembled a stone ladder. While the rest of the Fellowship scaled it with little effort, Gimli and the four Halflings had more trouble due to their shorter stature. They would grab the upper ledge of the stair with their hands if they could, avoiding more skeletal remains and old objects littered down the stone. Pippin's foot slipped, making Merry, who was below him, to steady him, "Pippin!" he hissed quietly.

Once Gandalf reached the top of the steps, he stopped to see a crossroad of three archways, each dark tunnel leading to the unknown. A look of confusion spread on his aged face as he narrowed his eyes. "I have no memory of this place," he murmured.

The Fellowship gathered beneath the platform where Gandalf sat as the Wizard contemplated the three paths ahead. The fire of Aragorn's torch served as a makeshift campfire as they sat around it to take in its warmth. The Men sat on the top of the stairs they had just climbed. Aragorn and Gimli took out their pipes to smoke for a moment as they rested.

"Are we lost?" Pippin whispered to his cousin. "No," Merry replied as they went back and forth. "I think we are." "Shh! Gandalf's thinking." A brief silence. "Merry?" "What?" "I'm hungry."

Frodo sat atop a rock whilst Eluin and Legolas leaned against it, the Elves' arms and legs crossed. The Hobbit gently chuckled at the two Halflings as they quietly bickered. However, the Elves' ears picked up something, making them narrow their eyes, and they suddenly turned around. This prompted Frodo to do the same, seeing their worried expressions. Their breaths hitched, finding the source of the pitter-patter of feet against the rocky steps in the cavern below.

A hunched figure crawling and leaping from stone to stone. Legolas immediately recognised it, for it was the same creature that had escaped from the captivity of the Woodland Realm. Gollum.

The Hobbit leapt off the rock, jumping up to the platform Gandalf was sitting on. Eluin and Legolas followed suit, trailing behind the Ringbearer. Frodo mentioned to the Wizard with a startled look, his eyes large and clouded with a slight fear, "There's something down there..."

"It's Gollum, Mithrandir," Legolas stated, causing Eluin and Frodo to look at him with furrowed brows. "Gollum?" Frodo asked, having heard of the creature from his uncle Bilbo. Contrary to their confusion, Gandalf was calm as he revealed, "He's been following us for three days."

Eluin tilted her head. "You mean since we entered Moria? Gandalf, you knew?" "I had a feeling he would be here, hiding out in the caves of the Misty Mountains. Though I never expected him to find us so soon. Perhaps he feels the presence of his one desire."

Gandalf gravely turned to Frodo, and they knew the Wizard was talking about the One Ring that Frodo bore around his neck. "And now the Ring has brought him here." His voice was low and riddled with unanswered questions. He continued, "He will never be rid of his need for it. He hates and loves the Ring, as he hates and loves himself."

The three listened to Gandalf as he muttered, "Sméagol's life is a sad story." Seeing their puzzled faces, he nodded and affirmed, "Yes, Sméagol, he was once called. Before the Ring found him... before it drove him mad." His words were a soft echo reverberating against the stone.

"It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance," Frodo spat, a shadow in his eyes. This caused the Wizard to glance at him sharply. "Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?"