Bitter work

"Alana today's the day."

"Aang I know you're excited but the others are trying to sleep. But I know right I can hardly wait."

"Can you believe it after all that time looking for a teacher we finally found one."

"I know we will finally be on our way to learning all four elements"

"This place is perfect.  Don't you think"

"Whos ready to learn some earth bending?!" Toph said coming out of her tent very loudly.

"Good morning Sifu Toph."

"Hey how come you never call me Sifu Katara?"

"Well if you think I should."

Then Sokka got mad at all our talking and growled.

"Sorry snoozles. We'll do your earth bending as quietly as we can" She said earth bending him 10 feet in the air.

"So what move are you gunna teach me first? Rockalanche, the trembler? Oh! Maybe I can make a whirlpool our of land!"

"Well Aang first I am teaching you AND Alana and the first move is going to be 'move a rock'."

"Sounds good!"

She took us to an open area and put bolders in front of us.

"So the key to earth bending is your stance. You have to be steady and strong. Rock is a stubborn element. If you're going to move it you have to be like a rock yourself."

"Okay."

"Like a rock. Got it"

"Now the actual motion of this is simple."

She put her foot infront of the other staying low kept her right hand in a fist and close to her body while pushing the other fist.

"Okay You ready to give it a try?"

"Yep."

"Yep."

Aang went first. He did the motion and slid all the way back into Appa.

"Rock beats airbender" Sokka says in his sleeping bag.

I went to try. I got into the stance did her exact move and nothing. I just stood there.

"I don't understand I did it the same way you did." I said.

"Yeah so did I"

"Maybe theres another way."

"Yeah, like what if we come at the boulder from a different angle."

"yeah and then we-"

"No thats the problem. You both have to stop thinking like air benders. there is no different angle no clever solution no tricky trick that's gonna move that rock. you've got to face it head on. and when I say head on, I mean like this."

Then she used her head to break a large boulder.

"Woah!"

Then Toph just started to walk away and Katara followed her.

"So Aang how do you feel about this?"

"I don't know we only did one thing but it feels so hard."

"I feel the same way."

Then we got back to work.

"Keep your knees high twinkle toes! You too nimble foot!"

When did she think of that?