chapter ii

"𝐃𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐚 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞. 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐟𝐨𝐫, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧."
- 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐦 𝐉𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐁𝐫𝐲𝐚𝐧

"- 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐦 𝐉𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐁𝐫𝐲𝐚𝐧

A formidable iron-hulled battleship, its prow spiked with menace, sliced through the churning waves, propelled by the power of steam emanating from a single imposing smokestack. The foredeck stretched out like a runway, dwarfing the afterdeck, while the bridge towered high above, commanding authority over the vast expanse of the sea.

Amidst this spectacle stood a figure clad in crimson, his gaze fixed intently on the ethereal shaft of light piercing through the horizon. This figure, none other than Zuko, scion of Fire Lord Ozai and Fire Lady Ursa, bore the burden of exile as the banished Crown Prince.

As the luminous beam gradually waned, Zuko turned to address his companions. "Uncle, Yun, do you grasp the significance of this?"

Seated at a low table, engaged in a game of Pai Sho, an elder statesman sipped tea with an air of wisdom, while beside him sat a young man bearing a striking resemblance to Zuko, save for the absence of a disfiguring scar. This was General Iroh, revered veteran of the Fire Nation, and Prince Yun, Zuko's twin brother, who sought solace in the company of his beloved uncle.

"We won't be finishing our game, will we?" Iroh murmured with a hint of resignation. Though both had noticed the enigmatic light that captivated Zuko's attention, they chose to remain indifferent, wary of raising false hopes.

But Zuko's conviction remained unyielding. "This light brings forth a new chapter in our lives. I can sense it in my bones."

A knowing exchange passed between Iroh and Yun as they prepared for the journey that fate had laid before them, guided by the whispers of destiny echoing across the vast expanse of the ocean.

"My search— about to come to an end."

Iroh scoffed while Yun let out a barely audible groan that only the general could hear.

"That light came from an incredibly powerful source," Zuko stated excitedly. "It has to be him!"

"Or it's just the celestial lights," Yun muttered, this time loud enough for his brother to hear, making Zuko angry that his own twin wouldn't believe him.

Iroh nodded in approval. It seemed like he had raised Yun into a fine young man who approached things peacefully. "Indeed, your brother's right, Prince Zuko. I don't want you to get too excited over nothing." He patted the cushion beside him and Yun in hopes of getting Zuko follow their peaceful steps. "Please, sit. Why don't you enjoy a cup of calming jasmine tea?"

"I don't need any calming tea!" Zuko exploded in anger, making Yun growl at him in return. "I need to capture the Avatar. Helsman, head a course for the light!"

Yun's patience wore thin as he attempted to reason with his brother. "Zuko, please. Show some respect to our uncle and crew. They are doing their utmost to assist us."

Zuko whipped his head around to face the boy, who was still playing his Pai Sho with Iroh. He spoke with such ferocity and hatred that it made both Iroh's and Yun's heart ache. Zuko wasn't like this from the start. He was a kind, gentle prince who loved a lot of things. That was, before, the Agni Kai, when he was scarred by his father and banished for speaking out of line in a war meeting. Zuko's anger never stopped growing ever since.

Zuko's retort was laced with bitterness, a reflection of the turmoil within him. "Respect? For what? Their incompetence? They have failed me at every turn."

With a heavy heart, Yun watched his brother storm off, his departure leaving a palpable tension in the air. Turning to Iroh, Yun's expression softened with concern. "Uncle, I fear Zuko's anger consumes him. I worry for his well-being."

Iroh's gaze was filled with empathy as he placed a reassuring hand on Yun's shoulder. "Fear not, my boy. The path to enlightenment is often fraught with obstacles. Zuko will find his way in due time."

Yet beneath the veneer of reassurance, Yun's mind grappled with a weighty question that had long plagued him. With a solemn expression, he broached the topic that weighed heavily on his heart. "Uncle, when we find the Avatar, what then? Will we be hailed as heroes, or condemned as lazy failures by our father for taking years to find the Airbender?"

Iroh's expression softened with paternal affection as he met Yun's gaze with unwavering certainty. "Yun, the true measure of heroism lies not in the accolades of others, but in the choices we make. It is up to us to forge our own destiny, regardless of the expectations placed upon us. The time for you to choose destiny over your country's expectations is approaching, meaning that you would have to decide what comes first: the good for the world, or the luxury for yourself and your family?"

Before Yun could reply, Iroh rose from his seat and patted the boy's head. "Just think about it before giving me your answer. Here, take this." Iroh extended his hand and gave his beloved nephew a chest. "It's an extremely delicate and powerful object. Guard it well and when the time comes, it will help you gain powerful yet wise allies."

Iroh then left the boy and went to his chambers. Yun stuffed the present into his red tunic before laying down on the ship's cold, metal surface.

What was Iroh implying when he compared the sake of the world with the Fire Nation?

爱在风中
𝐿𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒲𝒾𝓃𝒹