chapter x

"𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐜𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐭."
- 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐤 𝐓𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐧

" - 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐤 𝐓𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐧

Kireina stifled a yawn, her movements sluggish as she slipped into her customary Airbender robes. Dawn had barely broken, the world still cloaked in shadows, as she navigated the maze of corridors with practiced ease, each step carefully calculated to avoid disturbing the slumbering inhabitants of the house.

Emerging into the cool morning air, Kireina traversed the winding dirt roads of the village, her senses heightened by the anticipation of what lay ahead. Following the directions provided by Suki the day before, she made her way to the designated meeting point, the soft glow of light emanating from the windows guiding her path.

As she approached her destination, the rhythmic sounds of combat filled the air, the clashing of metal and the swish of Tessenjutsu techniques mingling harmoniously. Shadows danced across the walls, revealing the silhouettes of Kyoshi Warriors engaged in spirited sparring matches, their movements fluid and precise.

Another yawn escaped Kireina's lips, her fatigue evident from the early hours. The residual effects of the intense training session of waterbending attempts from the previous day lingered, leaving her muscles sore and her mind sluggish.

Summoning her remaining energy, Kireina rapped lightly on the door before sliding it open, her presence immediately acknowledged by the warriors' leader, Suki.

Suki greeted her newest pupil with a reverent bow, a gesture that Kireina quickly halted with a wave of her hand, discomfort evident in her expression. Despite her reluctance to accept such formalities, Suki proceeded to present Kireina with a pair of Kyoshi's legendary metal Tessen fans, a gift that carried both significance and weight.

As Kireina examined the fans, she noted their substantial heaviness compared to her usual weapon, a subtle shift that forced to alter her familiar fighting style. While she appreciated the gesture, she couldn't help but view these fans as temporary substitutes for the cherished gift bestowed upon her by Monk Gyatso, a beloved father figure to both her and Aang, and one of the revered weapons of Kunchen herself.

Resigning herself to the task at hand, Kireina allowed Suki to guide her through the intricate process of applying the distinctive makeup worn by the Kyoshi Warriors, a ritual she found mildly distasteful but ultimately necessary for blending in with her new comrades.

Once the transformation was complete, Suki instructed Kireina to assume her most comfortable fighting stance. With a slight bend of her knees and her left hand raised protectively before her forehead, Kireina adopted a posture that differed significantly from the traditional airbending stance Aang had grown accustomed to. Her right hand poised in front of her, ready to strike at a moment's notice, reflected years of training under the watchful eye of Gyatso, though her unorthodox and offensive approach often drew disapproval from the Council of Elders.