𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞: The Breakup

____

____

"I don't want  to do this now." she declared turning her back to him to put the last dishes in the sink. "Well, I don't care." He said angrily "Do you realize how differently today could have ended?" He leaned against the kitchen island and crossed his arms.

They returned from another case, one they both knew would make them argue. they hadn't spoken since then and didn't have the chance to try because Jack was still awake. However, after watching a movie with him and ensuring he was sound asleep, Aaron was ready and felt that it was time to discuss what had happened, even though Emily didn't appear to ready too.

"What the hell do you want from me, Aaron?!" She asked turning around to face him, her voice slightly raising without her approval "You disobeyed my order, Emily!" He said matching his tone to hers, it became to feel like a usual occasion, always ending their day with a fight.

"I had to! This kid would have died if I hadn't made that choice!" It was an abduction case, their unsub had already kidnapped and killed three children and was now holding Maria captive in his house. They were running out of time and she entered despite the fact Aaron told them to wait.

She couldn't wait, she heard the girl cry and her legs reacted before her brain did. automatically she was running towards the door. Her ears filtering Derek's calls and continuing, ignoring them.

"You told us he was planning to flee. It would have taken you a long time to arrive and I couldn't risk waiting for you when I could clearly hear her. Alive." The kids were always found after three days and it was Maria's last day, she couldn't wait.

"I also visited that place with you before, I knew it." She added turning back to the sink.

"But still managed to get ambushed" he exclaimed almost laughing. Emily rolled her eyes, The unsub they were chasing turned out to be someone they had already suspected. Visited him to ask some questions. That's how she became familiar with the layout of the house, including the rooms, bathroom, and the kitchen. She was ambushed because he surprised her by sneaking up from behind, like a coward. "You know I made the right choice. You know our unsub could have escaped, and we would have lost him and Maria. So really Aaron, what are you really mad at? What do you want?"

"I want you to stop being impulsive! You've never been like that, ever. Your actions put you, Maria, and Morgan at risk." He yelled frustrated, it was like she changed entirely her actions on the field and her behaviour recently looked way too similar to the ones of someone else, her impulsively was like Elle's and today he almost lost her because of it "One inch to the left and he would've gotten you." He stated, he was so close to lose another woman he loved to this job and he was furious she took it so lightly, and that he was still talking to her back.

"But he didn't!"

"Because Morgan entered in time. You got lucky!"

"Luck has nothing to do with it." She said drying her wet hands with a towel and facing him "It has everything to do with it!" He replied back "You ignored my direct order, and you could've gotten yourself killed. You should've waited for backup."

Emily shook her head already tried of fighting "Alright, sir. It won't happen again."

"Don't give me that shit, Emily." He said clearly annoyed by that, it was so immature of her, she threw the towel in her hand away "Then what do you want?" She said her hands on her hips "An apology for saving that little girl?"

"Don't you see how..." he sighed not willing to finish his sentence "What are we even doing?" He asked, Emily crossed her arms "finish your sentence. You clearly have a lot to say."

Aaron left the kitchen indicating that he was done talking with her but she followed him "what is your problem just say it!" She yelled and almost bumped into him when he unexpectedly turned around  "It doesn't work anymore!" He yelled instinctively.

"Then maybe we should break up." She blurted out in response "maybe we should!"

For a while now they felt like something else was concealed beneath all of those arguments they had been holding back. And now, there was no reason to continue doing so.

"Good!"

"Fine!"

As the realisation started to sink in, they both realised how childish they sounded. They revealed they wanted to end things but it could happen differently, it was like every time they argued something possessed them and made them act so out of character, in a manner that was unlike them.

And they couldn't break eye contact. Looking for something that will give them the impression they were insincere with their last confession but they found nothing, they were convinced that's what they wanted but it didn't make the end hurt any less.

"I don't want to do this anymore." He said quietly
"Then we won't." Emily responded and removed the ring he gave her only two months ago when proposing to her, putting it in his palm. "I'll sleep in the guest room" she added.

"Emmy?" They heard Jack's voice coming from up the stairs, he was holding his teddy bear and rubbing his eyes.

They woke him up.

They both climbed up the stairs, Aaron picking him up and jack tiredly resting his head on his shoulder "we are sorry we woke you up baby" Emily said softly stroking his hair "Why were you yelling?" He asked innocently "just grown-ups things" Aaron answered instead of her, kissing his head "yeah" she smiled "don't worry about it okay?" Jack nodded

"why don't we go back to sleep what do you say?" She extended her hands, and Jack moved into her arms."tell your daddy good night" she said

"Good night daddy" Jack said sleepy, Aaron smiled and kissed his forehead. Watching her walking away with him, he knew this time she won't return to their bed.

He will have to get used to it now.

____

First chapter is always the worst, the next one is better I promise:)