Insufferable

Two chapters since it was too long to be a single one! Hope you'll like it, enjoy:D

just reminding you chapter is a continuation of the engagement party in the previous chapter— the beginning is the chapter right before this one (fade into you) |

____

"You must be Emma, the new neighbor" she almost let out a tired sigh as she realized she had been approached again, but held it in. After all, what did she expect? She was standing alone, sipping champagne. She should've known it would attract someone.

"I am, and you are?" she inquired with a smile that she believed formed voluntarily. "Right, where are my manners? I'm Dan," he answered. He was a tall man with black hair that was so dark and deep it looked dyed, he had a pretty nice face, and hazel eyes. "Nice meeting you" she said after agreeing to take his hand and shake it.

"How do you like our neighborhood?" he asked, setting aside her champagne glass to make room for his arm.
Emily took her glass to take a sip. "It's beautiful, very peaceful" she commented, resting her glass in front of her. Dan wrinkled his nose. "I wouldn't call it peaceful since couples keep disappearing, but I agree about the beautiful part" he said.

It was the first time a neighbor was actually acknowledging the murders. It was refreshing, and she was happy that coming here wouldn't be for nothing she was still thinking about that dance with Aaron. "Oh yes, I heard about that. Did you know any of the couples?" she asked, making sure she sounded innocently interested and not nosy or suspicious.

"Not really, only by names. It's been almost a year, I think, so everyone got used to it" he said, signaling one of the waitresses to come so he could grab a glass of champagne too.

"But you don't seem to" Emily said with a hint of a smile.

"Did you have the chance to travel? See McLean?" he changed the subject. Emily hoped her disappointment at his avoidance of the topic went unnoticed. "Not really," she replied.

"I can show you around. I grew up here, and I know places that are worth visiting" he offered, unable to hide the glance he sent toward her cleavage in a way that was so slight that it was surprising Emily caught on. She camouflaged her growing dislike for the guy. He seemed nice at first, but it appeared not to be the case.

"That's very kind of you, but I was planning on doing that with my husband soon. I would love to hear recommendations, though" she answered, refusing his offer and acting as if it wasn't completely disrespectful to offer something like that to a married woman.

"Right... husband" he repeated, looking at the ring on her finger that she chose to display more clearly by taking another long sip from her drink.

"And where is your husband, Emma?" he asked with a smirk that revealed his dimples, as if he knew something that she didn't. "Is he busy with someone, maybe?" Dan suggested, guiding her eyes to Aaron with a small nod toward him.