𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞: Promises, Goodbyes and Pretending

____

____

"Given the extensive history between the two of you, I completely understand if you don't feel comfortable with proceeding" Strauss, their supervisor, said. She called them in for a meeting, introducing them to a new case involving the search for a serial killer who targets married couples and had already kidnapped and killed one. The killer had now taken another couple, Katy and Elliot Hills, making them his second victims. They had been missing for a week, and the police were empty-handed.

Strauss had a lot of time to get used to the fact the pair in front of her were dating but eventually she allowed it since they proved themselves to be just as efficient and professional on the field as they were before, it didn't change when they broke off their engagement however this was different and she wanted to be certain they are ready for this kind of operation; playing a married couple.

Based on the early-stage profile, it was determined that Emily and Aaron matched his preferred type. So she suggested they go undercover and pose as potential victims since the police had only a few leads to follow.

"No. it's fine by me" Aaron said, Emily was surprised by his immediate response. She knew Aaron was dedicated to his job and catching bad guys but there was Jack and his girlfriend Beth how could he say yes so quickly?

"agent Prentiss?" Strauss asked, Aaron looked at Emily for a reaction, as if checking to see if she will dare allow herself to be close to him again.

He wasn't sure why he agreed so quickly maybe it was because he couldn't bare thinking of the possibility of her doing this with someone else. Where he will have no control or information, she would be in constant danger and he won't be there to protect her.

"It's fine by me too" she said, feeling compelled to do so, Strauss shifted her gaze between them and nodded "very well."

"you already know this is a complex and high-risk operation. It require meticulous planning, extensive training and strict operational protocols, which you two needs to follow." She said, emphasizing the last part since Aaron Hotchner's team tended to ignore protocols.

"We will maintain constant communication with both of you. Your safety, as well as the safety of the couple is of utmost importance so I need you to understand the risks and be careful" she finished

"Am I making myself clear?" She asked, demanding an answer that will break the paralysis they seemed to be experiencing "yes ma'am" they said in unison

"I expect your presence here tomorrow morning. We will continue our discussion" she finished and dismissed the two.

Given the urgency of the situation, Emily and Aaron were fully committed to the operation, understanding the gravity of the task at hand and undergoing an extensive and intense training program to develop the necessary skills for the it.