Peace lilies

_____

_____

Aaron woke up first, opening his eyes to find her face in front of his, close and different from the previous night when she had slept with her back facing him. Even then, she had been sleeping near the edge of the bed, appearing tense. The only reason he believed she truly fall asleep was her slow breathing.

Now, seeing her sleeping peacefully in front of him, Aaron felt frozen, hesitant to move too much and risk waking her. He realized how much he had missed this sight—her serene and relaxed state, sleeping next to him. He reached out to brush her hair away from her face but stopped himself, his hand frozen in the air.

"What am I doing?" he asked himself as he quickly got up before he could act on his old habits that he thought had disappeared.

He sat on the sofa in the living room with the sliding patio doors slightly open, seeking some fresh air to dispel the suffocating feeling that had come over him. They had worked on worse cases, ones with more disturbing details that he couldn't even bear to think about. But something about this particular case was different and sickening to him.

Those women had been tortured, abused, and raped. The thought of another woman being alive and experiencing the same horrors, including Emily posing as a potential victim, made his stomach churn, he couldn't imagine her being in their place. The details of what they and their husbands had endured frustrated Aaron, and he sighed, rubbing his eyes.

About an hour later, Emily woke up, feeling upset with herself for being disappointed to find herself alone in the bed. It had only been one night, and her walls were already starting to crack. She sighed and got up, deciding to take a shower, aspiring for it to wash away that feeling too.

Upon hearing the sound of running water, Aaron decided to take a break from the files. He got up and made himself a cup of coffee, briefly considering making one for Emily as well. But deciding against it, thinking that by the time she came out, it would have already turned cold.

Emily finished her shower standing in front of the wardrobe, She was supposed to open her shop and wanted to look right. She considered wearing a dress it was the safest choice but settled for jeans instead. She paired them with a white tank top and a button-up shirt which she left open, deciding she looked decent and after applying light makeup, fixing her curls, and wearing her boots, she left the room.

"Good morning" she said with a forced smile, nearly bumping into Aaron in the kitchen as he was about to leave. It was probably their bodies colliding that made him seem as though he had been electrocuted, but he did his best to hide it. Emily was beautiful, and he wasn't sure why he reacted that way or what he expected to see. It was foolish of him to be surprised. "Good morning" he replied, Emily walked past him, his gaze followed her every movement—her hair bouncing as she moved from the cabinet to the nearby shelf, preparing coffee. It always happened when she curled her hair, and he always noticed.