One sleepless night

____

____

My dumbass just noticed I named both Daphne's daughter AND a neighbor 'Chloe' forgive me!!!!from now on Daphne daughter's name is Sophie!
____

"Good evening, everyone! Thank you for coming again" Chloe said cheerfully. She was a tall, dark-haired woman with big green eyes and an equally big smile. Emily believed it was rare to see her smile, and when you did, it was impossible to get one that wasn't genuine. It was the first time Emily had seen her up close; last time, she had just watched her talking to Aaron at Daphne and Ryan's engagement party.

"We wish we didn't have to" Dan mumbled silently, without any care he could be heard. Chloe ignored him, and Emily was impressed by how easily she did that.

Emily and Aaron had been invited to a neighborhood watch meeting hosted at the Williams' house, the couple Aaron was supposed to show a house to. They had been told by Claire that the neighbors used to meet frequently when the first couple was abducted but they had stopped meeting regularly because months had passed without any special updates, so, as Dan had told her at the engagement party, they seemed to have just gotten used to it. Chloe had invited them all again because of Aaron and Emily.

"I know we haven't met for a long time, but since we have new neighbors, I figured it would be a good idea to meet and address some of the old topics again" Chloe smiled, standing while the rest were seated in a circle, snacking on some crackers or cookies that she had prepared for them.

Emily sat cross-legged, Aaron's hand on her thigh and hers on top of it. They hadn't even noticed when they did it, but maybe it had happened naturally—sitting in a room full of affectionate married couples had forced them to mirror the gestures in front of them.

"For anyone who didn't have the chance to meet them at Daphne and Ryan's engagement party, say hello to Ben and Emma Miller. They are the newest addition to our community" Chloe introduced, gesturing with her open arm towards the couple.

This arranged a sequence of acquaintances with all the participants in the meeting. Emily and Aaron already knew some of the pairs, but it was good to meet the ones they hadn't had the opportunity to talk to.

"They found the perfect time to move" Ryan declared, making Daphne chuckle. "Yeah, I hope you're not regretting it now" Owen, Chloe's husband, said sarcastically, making them laugh and causing his wife to roll her eyes and struggle to suppress her smile too. "No, not yet" Aaron replied jokingly.

Chloe clapped, drawing their attention and bringing them back to the subject. "I hope everyone has listened to the safety tips we discussed last time" she said with a warning tone.

"I installed a security camera system" a brunette man, whom they now knew was called George, said, raising his hand. Chloe nodded at him in encouragement, thankful for his participation.