𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞

"steven, can you please tell me what happened in that basement?" eden asked that night.

the two were cuddling in steven's bed. it was around 1 am when they got back to the house and after getting changed and getting into bed, it was 1:15.

"it's not important." he replied.

"steveeeeen." she whined.

he huffed. "you're annoying, you know that?"

"yes, i do. now tell me." she replied.

"if i do, can i go to sleep after?" he raised his eyebrows.

"mhm."

he sighed. "fine. i lost my money. i lost everything. all of it. now i feel stupid because i can't buy the suit for the deb hall and i can't get you the nice ring i really wanted to get you."

eden was silent then said, "what?"

"yeah."

"well, my mom was gonna get you the suit anyway, but steven, you don't need to get me a ring. you don't need to get me anything. i just want you." she replied.

"i know, but it's...never mind, it's stupid. let's go to bed."

"steven, it's not stupid. just tell me."

he swallowed. "it was supposed to be a promise ring. i saw it at a really nice boutique on the boardwalk and it reminded me of you and i wanted to make you a promise with it."

"that's not stupid, that's beautiful, but steven, you don't need to have a ring to make me a promise."

"i know. i just felt like i should because it's nice and because it could like...seal the deal, you know?"

"i know."

it was silent.

"okay, now shut up, i wanna go to bed." he spoke up.

"only if you shut up first." she retorted.

"deal. goodnight, edie."

"goodnight, steve-o."

and then, they fell asleep.

🌊

eden awoke the next morning, still in steven's arms.

her blue eyes flickered up to him and smiled when she saw his peacefully sleeping face.

god, was he cute.

a strand of his messy, black hair fell on his forehead.

his hair was usually nice and gelled, but he had been sleeping, so it had gotten messy.

she pushed the strand of hair back and smirked, biting her bottom lip.

"edie. are you watching me sleep?" he asked in a husky morning voice, his eyes still closed.

"maybe." she smirked.

"you're a creep." he joked.

she continued smirking. "but i'm your creep."

he opened his eyes.

"you're actually the cringiest person i've ever met." he replied.

she scoffed. "rude."

"what? being rude is in my nature." he shrugged.

she giggled and kissed his cheek.

"i'm gonna go grab some breakfast. i'll see you when you get up." she informed.

he nodded. "sounds good."

he watched her walk out, staring at her ass.

"damn." he whispered.

she turned around and raised her eyebrows. "excuse me?"

"n-nothing." he stammered.

"no, what did you just say?" she questioned.

"no, it was nothing, i swear." he shook his head, then smirked.

"mhm. sure. we'll take care of that later."

she then turned back around and walked out of the room.

steven looked up at the ceiling and smiled.

how did he get so lucky?

he wouldn't be lucky for long, though.

🌊

"good morning, family." eden smiled when she arrived downstairs.

she saw belly and conrad standing across from each other with a box of muffins on the counter between them. jere was sitting on one of the chairs popping cereal into his mouth.

"honey, why aren't you dressed! you need to get going!" susannah exclaimed from behind her.

steven then came stomping down the stairs and shuffled into the kitchen.

susannah looked to eden, then to steven.

"oh. i see." she nodded.

"huh?"

"what?"

"nothing, nothing. now, everyone, stay out of the family room. i've done all your paintings and tonight after the hall we'll have a big unveiling." susannah said.

she then handed steven eden's dress and jeremiah belly's dress to go put in the car.

"eden, go get dressed please."

"you got it!"

she kissed susannah on the cheek, then skipped upstairs to change.

when she was done, she smiled at herself in the mirror.

she was excited to get to dance around the ballroom floor with steven.

but what she didn't know was that that night would go all wrong.

AUTHORS NOTE
who's ready for the baaaalll! i know i am!

muah,
lea <3