Chapter 34: By Heaven's Decree

Night had fallen, enveloping the tent where Sun found himself with Chairo and the tribe's Bruja. There she sat, meticulously adorning his chest, neck, and face with ancient words and symbols.

The Bruja, with her dark brown skin and dreadlocked hair adorned with golden beads and feathers, exuded an aura of mystique. Her black and gold gown, with snake-like patterns, added to her enigmatic presence. Her luminous yellow eyes often entranced Sun, and hawk claws dangled from her ears. Yet, her nose and mouth remained concealed beneath a black silk shawl.

"Uh... is this really necessary?" Sun ask.

"Shush, chico," the Bruja commanded.

Her voice, resonating like the chorus of a dozen voices, sent shivers down Sun's spine.

Observing Sun's unease, Chairo chuckled softly. "Fear not, Sun," he reassured. "The Bruja means you no harm unless you dare to mock her," he teased.

The Bruja's gaze shifted momentarily to Chairo, a playful glint dancing in her luminous eyes. "Ah, the eternal jest of Chairo," she remarked with a smirk behind her shawl, her voice a melodic blend of amusement and admonition.

Chairo nodded sagely, a knowing grin playing at the corners of his lips. "Indeed, my dear Bruja," he replied, his tone laced with affectionate banter. "Wisdom may be my mantle, but mischief still resides within,"

The Bruja chuckled softly, her laughter echoing in the dimly lit tent like the rustle of leaves in a gentle breeze. "As it should be," she conceded, her demeanor softening with fondness.

With practiced precision, she inscribed complex symbols and glyphs upon Sun's skin, each stroke imbued with ancient power and meaning. As the symbols took shape, a sense of anticipation hung heavy in the air, mingling with the faint scent of incense and the crackle of the campfire outside.

Finally, the Bruja leaned back, her task complete. With a satisfied nod, she regarded Sun with a newfound intensity, her gaze piercing through the veil of shadows.

"Está terminado," she declared, rising from her seat. "I will fetch the incense, lie down and relax," she instructed, her movements graceful yet purposeful.

Chairo's nod, coupled with the gentle curve of his lips, conveyed a reassuring warmth that enveloped Sun like a comforting embrace.

As Sun's teacher drew nearer, a ripple of apprehension danced across Sun's features, etching lines of uncertainty upon his brow.

"Is this... going to be scary?" he asked, his voice tinged with a hint of trepidation.

Chairo met Sun's gaze with a soft smile. "At first, perhaps, it may feel like your soul is being torn from you, but that sensation is fleeting, once it passes, you'll find yourself... wherever you felt most at peace, things will be strange, but upon entering the realm of spirits, seek what you desire and return," Chairo explained. "Do not wander too far, and whatever you do, Sun... do not stray toward the abyss," he cautioned.

Sun felt confused by Chairo's warning, but before he could seek clarification, the Bruja reappeared with a large stick of incense, directing Sun to recline on his back before her. As he lay there, he gazed up at the tent's roof.

The Bruja ignited the incense and began swirling it around. "Relax, Chico. Ease your mind and body," she instructed Sun. Breathe in and out slowly, clearing your thoughts. Focus on nothing but the sight of the tent's roof."

Sun emptied his mind following her guidance, fixating on the mundane sight above him. He took a deep breath, exhaling slowly, as the Bruja chanted in an ancient tongue. He repeated this process until a heaviness settled over his eyelids, and they slowly drifted shut. With each breath, he felt the world around him blur.