Suzune vs Arisu

"This is my treat, eat as much as you want."

Our table was filled with expensive and luxurious food, ranging from meats, and vegetables to desserts that cost around thousands of points. I can't imagine wasting so much points on stuff like this as a simple treat, which shows how many points the student council president had saved up from the past two years he's been here.

"By the way, Ayanokouji..."

Here it comes.

"Are you interested in joining the student council?"

I knew it.

After hearing her older brother's invitation, the younger Horikita cannot help but get taken aback and be surprised.

"Hey, Sakayanagi, did you plan this?"

"Fufu, I have no idea what you're talking about, Ayanokouji-kun."

"Nii-san, why do you want to invite him to the student council?"

"You should know this by now, Suzune. Ayanokouji is not a simple student. I find his potential to be very well suited for the student council."

Back then, the younger Horikita had a hard time approaching her brother, let alone strike a conversation with him. But judging by their atmosphere, I can tell that she now feels comfortable around him. She's not nervous nor scared by her brother's presence anymore, unlike back then.

"I agree with you, Kaichou."

"So, what do you say, Ayanokouji?"

"I... I'm not fitting for any student council position. I think there are other students out there who deserve it more than me."

All I want is a normal, peaceful life. Away from trouble and other bothersome things.

Unlike other students who are aiming for any higher position in an institute, I just don't have any ambition to reach the top. Knowing my personality, there's a big chance that that opportunity will just be wasted on me.

Another thing is, even if I did devote my life serving as a student council member, the benefits of it wouldn't even be useful to me since I'll be returning to the white room. It's no use thinking about it.

"Is that so? I understand, you must have your reason for that, huh?"

Sakayanagi suddenly clings to my arm.

"Don't say that, Ayanokouji-kun. Instead, work in the student council with me. After that, you can help me become president during the election."

Her eyes sparkled. I can feel the younger Horikita's intense glare aimed towards us.

Also, the nerve of this woman to add another demand.

"Speaking of president. Suzune, you're planning to join the election, right?"

"Y-Yes, I am. But since Sakayanagi-san and Ichinose-san are both my competitors, it's going to be a difficult battle."

"Not to mention. You're also classmates with Ayanokouji. What do you think of his everyday behavior?"

I'm begging you, Horikita. Please lower my evaluation, and show them reasons why I shouldn't become a member of the student council.

"He's.... extremely lazy and irresponsible!"

YES! GO, HORIKITA!

"Ayanokouji-kun always gets average scores and doesn't strive to improve himself. Which is why I don't think someone like him is fitting for any student council position."

Good, good. Everything is going according to plan. If this continues, I can avoid having to join the student council.

Sakayanagi just finished drinking her tea, but when she puts her cup down, a bit of its content spills on the table. I can tell how unpleased she looked with what the younger Horikita just said.

"That's something that I cannot ignore as his childhood friend, Horikita-san."

"What?"

"Maybe you lack understanding of him?"

"As if. After all, I've been with him for almost a year now as his neighbor. So I know him very well."

"That's cute. But know this, Horikita-san, I've known Ayanokouji-kun back when we were kids. That means I understand him better than anyone else."

"H-Horikita? Sakayanagi?"

"What's this? A debate's about to start?"

Kaichou, don't just sit there and do nothing! Stop these two!

"Yes, Ayanokouji-kun is lazy and doesn't take things seriously, but in reality, he just wants to avoid the spotlight and any attention that might bother him, yes?"

"You say that, but it gets to the point that he's barely doing anything for the class. He's shown to be very uncooperative, especially during special exams."

"But in the end, your class won during the deserted island, and it's all thanks to him, right?"

"That's because he's been operating behind the scenes. Did he even bother to talk to me about his plan to begin with? No, that in itself shows how uncooperative he can be. Something that's unbefitting of a student council member."

Little did she know, I was forced to win that special exam because Chabashira-sensei threatened me with expulsion.

"But Horikita-san, if you're saying that he's lazy and doesn't improve himself, then why was he accepted in this school to begin with?"

That's because I was a special recommendation to ANHS. I didn't follow a simple proceedure that most of the students went through in order to be admitted to this school. I was a big exception, and Sakayanagi's father knows it. All of it was done in order for me to escape my father and the whiteroom.

Horikita took some damage from Sakayanagi's attack that not even she can deny. Horikita was backed into a corner.

"He was accepted, yes, but he kept his talent hidden. In fact, out of all the Class-D students, he's the most defective because he has so much skills but refuses to show it all."

"That doesn't ignore the fact that he's a special student who's more capable than anyone. Also, I have a buuuuunch of pictures of Ayanokouji-kun when we were kids, wanna see?"

Sakayangi proceeds to show a photo of me as a little kid wearing a dinosaur outfit. Wait, how on earth did she get that picture?

I don't know how that helps her argument, but for some reason, it was super effective. I can see how pissed off the younger Horikita is after seeing the cheat code Sakayanagi used.

After a few seconds of thinking for a counter attack, Horikita's face suddenly turns red.

"I CAN'T SAY THAT!!"

Whatever she thought up, it must be a pretty embarrassing memory. My guess, it's that one time when I entered Horikita's room and saw her naked. Yeah, better not bring that up.

"All right, that's enough."

Unable to handle the debate any longer, I stood up from my seat and grabbed the two girls by their shoulders.

"I'm sorry, Horikita-san, I got too excited."

"No, I should be the one apologizing."

The two finally calmed down, and the atmosphere came back to normal. That's when I just realized that the two of them arguing caused some eyes from the other customers to gather at our table.

"So in the end, I don't know anything about Ayanokouji-kun, huh?"

Horikita whispered, but it was loud enough only for me to hear.

Please don't talk like that, Horikita. I'll fall for you even harder.

"Did you say something Horikita?"

"I-I said we should start eating."

She's a blushing mess right now, making her glare even cuter.

And with that, the battle of Childhood Friend vs First Friend came to an end. What's the verdict? It's 5-1, Sakayanagi dominates Horikita.

This chapter was inspired by "Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian."