Halftime: chapter 5

➤ Eli ➤

Eli

I suddenly jolted up from the sound of my phone ringing and as I check the time I realize I should've been at the school 20 minutes ago for warm up. "Shit," I answered the phone and put it on speakerphone, climbing over Millie.

"Where the fuck are you, man?" Chase doesn't seem impressed as per usual, but it's worse this time because it's not just a practice, it's the first game of the season, and I'm already blowing my shot to be starting lineup.

I don't even have time to make up an excuse this time. "I fell asleep, I'm on my way." I hear coach yelling at the other boys in the background, "you better get here fast, coach is already pissed." He warns me before hanging up the phone.

I look over at Millie to see her still fast asleep, and I can't help but wish I could stay here with her and do nothing for another couple hours. "Bye mills." I whisper, closing her door quietly.

I had no choice other than to ask Derek for a ride, and I promise you it was the death of me. He stayed silent once again, but I think it's because he finally realized I don't see a wrong in what I did. I don't see a wrong in having fun.

As he pulls up to the school, I grab my bag from the back seat and close the door. I was fighting the urge to just walk away and say nothing, but I walked back to the passenger side window. "Thank you," I mumbled. "Bye." I hated being the bigger person with Derek, I feel like he confines me to be somebody I'm not. I don't want to feel stuck, I just want to breathe.

I understand why he wants me to continue trying to shift but after a while it gets embarrassing. I think he forgets how it makes me feel not being able to do something that my whole family can. I feel more exhausted than ever. I walk into the school struggling to carry my bag, but I manage and walk into the locker room where I heard my coach already stressing out about anything he could stress about.

Everyone's heads turn to me and I look like a deer caught in headlights. I've never been very good at lacrosse, my dad always tried to push me harder because he knew how much Scott loved it. It was enjoyable at first, but when it started to become more enjoyable for my dad I stopped caring about it all together.

I continue trying because I do have very good days when I have back to back goals, but then I have the extremely shitty days when I constantly get knocked down and can't score. On those days is when I wonder if It's even worth trying for, if I'm even good enough to get into college lacrosse, let alone make it like Scott.

After Scott finished high school he never played again, and he was definitely the best player on the team, so really, how much of a chance do I got making it to college with a scholarship? "I'll have a talk with you later, Eli, but right now get in your gear and get your asses on the field." I had so many questions, but they weren't worth the major screaming match that would come from it.