October 8th: chapter 9

➤ Eli ➤

Eli

I've never been one to celebrate my birthdays. I don't think I've ever been a fan of celebrating myself at any time, actually. Derek has always put in effort whenever it came to my birthdays.

I've just never been one to accept the effort he put into it. It's nothing he's done. It's just me self-consciously trying to forget about myself and put the attention on other people.

After my mother's actions on my 10th birthday, I have tried my best to erase the memory. That day left me with deep emotional scars, and it is the one occasion when I long for my mother's presence the most. All I have ever wanted is for her to be there, showing me love and support.

As time goes on, and she continues to disappoint me, my hope diminishes. Though I try to appreciate when she messages me, the small gestures become less significant over time. It's my 16th birthday today, and somehow it still feels like any other day.

I told everyone yesterday that I wanted it to be like any other day. No happy birthdays, no gifts, and absolutely no party. The older I get, the less excited I am to celebrate myself.

On the way to school, Derek behaved in a completely normal manner. We exchanged a few glances and that was pretty much it. I believe he is starting to win me over. Since the incident at the pizzeria, he hasn't done anything to worsen my dislike for him, and I am feeling more at ease.

iMessages
Mills 🙈:

My breath smells so bad right now
I wish you were here to smell it!! :)

Good morning mills
Read 6:45

Millie hasn't mentioned anything about my birthday, but her support has been heavily appreciated. She understands why I dislike my birthday, and despite her own problems, she has made the effort to be there for me.

Our friendship is built on the mutual understanding we have for each other. I've never had such a strong bond with anyone, and she is always there to listen without judgment. It's a relief to have someone like Millie who is consistently there for me, no matter what she may be going through in her own life.

As I'm shutting my locker, I see Millie standing next to me with a stuffed spider-man. I sigh, and look at her with an upset look. "Don't be mad, please," She looks up at me and begs. "This was for our anniversary..." she trails off and try's to think of another excuse, and I stand there looking down at her as she's contemplating her next words.

I can't even be mad at her, though. It's Millie and I should've known she wouldn't let me spend the day being sad about my mom. "I'm not mad, mills, you're lucky I like you." She stops thinking and just smiles, handing me the spider-man. I grab it and place it into my locker.