Chapter 55- Kuvira's Gambit

"You're telling me? Jinora was captured, but now she's back. Lin and Opal left with Bolin to search for their family, and to top it off, my Lulu da Vinci bag is missing?" Fara exclaimed, her voice tinged with distress.

Mako narrowed his gaze at her. "How did you not realize your own sister was missing?"

President Raiko's stern gaze swept over the group. "The borders are secure, and troops are guarding the rail lines into the city." Inside City Hall, he directed his attention to Varrick and Asami. Fara, Mako, Korra, Wu, and Tenzin were all gathered. "So what have you two geniuses come up with to fend off Kuvira?"

As Asami displayed the schematics, she explained, "It's a flying mecha suit!" Varrick interjected, striking the schematics to Asami's annoyance. "Asami got the idea from watching dragonfly-hummingbirds. You can take off straight up, fly in any direction—"

Raiko interrupted, inquiring, "Where does the spirit ray come out?"

Varrick responded coldly, "It doesn't have a spirit ray. I'm telling you what I told Kuvira: That technology should not be used!"

Enraged, Raiko declared, "It's already being used by Kuvira! I need spirit vine weapons, and I need them now!" He then directed his attention to Fara. "And where is General Iroh? He vanished without informing me!"

"That's Iroh for you," Fara replied knowingly.

Korra asserted firmly, "No. It was Kuvira's harvesting of the vines in the swamp that caused the Republic City vines to go crazy and grab all those people."

Raiko's eyebrows knitted in anger. "You're supposed to be the bridge between the two worlds. Why can't you harvest the vines?"

"I won't do that," Korra stated firmly, pausing for a moment. "But maybe, since the spirits love Republic City so much, I can convince them to help us defend it somehow."

Raiko nodded curtly in response. "Hmm."

Wu suggested, "Okay, maybe while the weapon geniuses and the spirit bridge are getting ready for battle, we should be evacuating the ordinary citizens so that if Kuvira attacks, they won't be hurt."

Raiko was taken aback. "That's ... actually a good idea," he admitted, regaining his composure. "Prince Wu, you work with the police to coordinate getting people out of the city. Now, everyone, get to it. I want daily updates."

✧༺♥༻∞༺♥༻✧

A couple of days later, Raiko called for a meeting at City Hall to receive updates on their tasks. Inside Raiko's office, Raiko, Wu, Korra, Mako, Fara, and Tenzin gathered around a table, where a map of the city lay spread out before them.

"How's the evacuation coming?" Korra asked Wu.

"Could be better. At this point we've evacuated almost ..." Wu paused to consult his papers. "Eighteen families."

Distressed, Korra remarked, "Only eighteen?"

Fara's eyebrows furrowed. "There are millions of people in this city!"

"I said it could be better." Wu shrugged.

"The problem is, it's a voluntary evacuation and there aren't very many volunteers. They just don't feel like they're in any immediate danger." Mako explained.

The conversation abruptly halted as Bolin burst through the office doors. "Guys! Good, you're all here!"

Raiko stood up abruptly as Lin, Suyin, and Zhu Li entered the room, a look of irritation on his face. "What's with you interrupting my important meetings all the time?"