09 | The aftermath

Just like any other day, I walked out of the classroom of my last class. I exited the building instead of walking to my dorm room, I walked towards the direction of the library, where I was going to be meeting up with my boyfriend and my best friend. This afternoon, I am having a study session with them to get some study and homework done before the night gets here.

I walked for a minute until the library appeared in my sight. I opened the door, walking inside, I waved at the person behind the counter who I had seen at one of my classes before walking further into the library.

I spotted them sitting down at our usual table towards the back of the library. I walked towards the table and I took off my backpack over my shoulders. 

"Hey, everyone." I placed it on the ground and sat down on the chair next to my boyfriend.

"Hello, Lenora." Beck looked away from her laptop and greeted me.

"Hey, Beck." I greeted her, opening up my backpack to retrieve my laptop.

"Lenora, how are you doing?" Cyrus asked me, looking up from his book to look at me.

"I am doing good, thank you for asking. How are you?" I opened up my laptop and unlocked it by putting in my passcode. "Hello, babe." I looked away from my laptop to look at him while I smiled at him.

My boyfriend made eye contact with me, matching my smile as mine. "Hi Lena, I am so happy that you're here."

"I am happy to be here as well." I smiled at my boyfriend, before looking at Cyrus.

"Glad to hear that, I am doing good as well." Cyrus responded to my question as he looked back at him.

"It's everyone ready to study?" I asked my boyfriend and my best friends, returning to look back at my laptop.

"Lenora, yes I am. I swear that all of my professors gave me homework this week and I am not a fan." Cyrus complained, without moving his gaze from his book.

"Cyrus, mine too!" Beck looked at him as she shared with him.

I laughed at them, feeling my phone vibrating in the back pocket of my jeans. I reached for my phone, expecting my older sister to be calling. I looked at my phone, and instead of seeing my sister's contact flashing on my screen, it was an unknown number with the same code area.

I rarely answer any unknown phone calls, but this time there was a pit feeling telling me to answer the call. I looked away from my phone's screen, focusing on my study group. "Hey, I will be right back."

My boyfriend looked at me with a worrying expression. "Lena, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything is okay. I just have to take this call." I pointed at my phone with my finger.

I turned around and started making my way out of the library. "Hello, who is this?" I spoke into the phone after accepting the call, standing in front of the entrance of the library.

"Hello, is this Lenora Keegan?" A female voice asked from the other side of the call.

"Yes, this is her speaking." I replied, walking toward a nearby bench and sat down on it.

"Okay, Miss Keegan, I am calling from the police department, are you available to stop by the station this upcoming weekend?"

"Yes, I am available to stop by the police station this weekend."

✘✘✘✘

Once I ended the call, I placed my phone down on the bench beside me. I let the panic in, covering my face with my hands and leaning my elbows on my knees. This is the first time and hopefully the last time that I have been called by the police station to be asked questions by a police officer.

How am I going to tell my parents and my sister about this? I don't want them to think that I am a criminal. Well, you could say that I am one because I am a witness to a criminal even if accidental. I guess this is part of the aftermath.

"Lena, there you are?" My boyfriend's voice pulled me away from my panic thoughts.  I moved my hands away from my face and looked at my boyfriend who was making his way toward me.

"What's wrong?" My boyfriend asked me, sitting down beside me on the bench on my left. Just by looking at him, I could tell that he had noticed my panicked facial expression.

I picked up my phone from the bench and held it in the air in his direction. "That call was from an officer from the police department."

"Oh shit." My boyfriend looked at me with a panicked expression appearing on his face.

"Oh shit indeed."

"Lena, what did they want? He asked me, placing an arm around my shoulders, showing that he was comforting me.

I smiled at his way of comforting me, I leaned my head down on his shoulder. "The female officer asked me if I am available to stop by the station this upcoming weekend."

He moved his hand around my shoulders, placing the same hand on my lower back as he began rubbing small circles against my skin. "I told her that yes, I am available to stop by the police station this weekend. Do you know a lawyer that I could use?"

"I hope that the officer who interviews you asks the same questions as Beck's. My parents know a lawyer, I will text you the number later today."

"I hope so too, I have a secret to protect. I know what to say if they ask me if I saw anything on that beach. Thank you, having a lawyer in the room with me is going to make me feel less nervous." I agreed with my boyfriend, starting to feel my panic going away.

"Lena baby, protecting this secret is not only on you. Beck, Cyrus, and I are there with you. This part of the aftermath and like everything actions have consequences." My boyfriend told me as he didn't stop rubbing circles on my lower back. "If you get super nervous please remember to be yourself. You were there but you didn't do anything wrong. I know he is a good lawyer and he will protect you."

"I know, babe. This is a secret that we are going to take to the grave. I will do anything to protect our best friends and you."  I lifted my head from his shoulder to look at him. "I promise you that I am not going to let a police officer scare me."

"Will you text me letting me know how it went?" He asked me, looking into my eyes.

"I will just call you, babe."

✘✘✘✘

The next two chapters are going to be good, so stay tuned!

Final chapter word count: 1,143

Total book word count: 12,408