Chapter Four: What's In the Past

Sasame rolled in her sleeping bag under the massive roof of the rocky castle she had directed to be built. The exercise didn't have a rule that the enemy team couldn't attack while the other was sleeping, so four of her classmates were keeping watch at this time, with the shift change occurring soon.

"Can't sleep?" Kaya asked as she scooted over to her friend, nibbling on a piece of bread from the team's supplies. The Academy didn't want to torture their students, so they provided them with somewhat edible food for the exercise to supplement the foraging aspect.

Sasame fell silent as she pretended to be asleep.

"I know you're awake, Sasame."

"Go to bed, Kaya."

"No, I don't think I will." Kaya snickered and sat laid down on the smooth rock floor, turning her face to Sasame. "What's up?"

"We have a big day tomorrow, you need sleep. Just..." Sasame's voice trailed off as she refused to face her friend. In her hand was a photograph, faded from age and the elements, held in a lament coating to protect it from any further damage. She held it close to her chest, but not tightly to not damage it.

"Just leave me alone."

Kaya's face softened as she lowered her eyes. She ran her fingers in a circular motion on the floor as she sighed. This wasn't the time for joking. "What happened?"

Sasame clutched her thin pillow and put the photograph back into her pocket. "I don't want to talk about it."

"That's fine," Kaya said as she reached over and patted Sasame on the temple, smiling. "If you don't want to talk about something right now, that's alright. You know you can talk to me, though, right?" Kaya finished the piece of bread.

Sasame shook her head. "Not this time." Her voice dropped to a whisper as she readjusted herself in bed.

Kaya's face quickly changed as she searched for a possible reason for Sasame's distress. She remembered that she was in the forest for a decent amount of time with Gyra, a boy she had never so much as talked to. She jumped to a possibility she did not like and ignored her previous statement about respecting Sasame's wishes to leave her alone.

"Did that Gyra boy do something?!"

Sasame shot out of bed and quickly shook her head as she put her hands up. "No, no, he didn't do anything!" Sasame harshly whispered. "Just, go to bed, alright?"

"Well, now I can't. What happened?"

"I already told you I didn't want to talk about-"

Kaya grabbed Sasame by the shoulders and shook her. "Something's wrong with you, and I'll be worried sick to the point of insomnia if you don't fess up!"

"I SAID TO LEAVE ME ALONE!" Sasame yelled and pushed Kaya off her as the ambient noises around them ceased. Everyone that was still awake snapped their heads in her direction. Sasame looked around in fear as Kaya stepped back and nodded, returning to her bed.

Sasame slammed herself back down to her bed and silently cried into the bed as she pushed another person away.

They were right. I shouldn't have come here. All I'm doing is hurting people.

Sasame forced herself asleep as she desperately tried to ignore the many eyes peering at their leader. All she wanted to do was to hide away, but she knew she couldn't, and the lack of security terrified her. However, tomorrow would be a new day.

***

Tiomoyo pulled a small mirror out of his satchel and looked at his warm skin. It was now nighttime, and he knew he had maybe five hours to sleep before the plan would be enacted. Everyone knew this, too, after a short meeting with everyone at sunset, and the silence of the tunnels reflected this. Tiomoyo adjusted his hair and looked at his bright green eyes, smiling as the light from the lantern outside of his room reflected the light in his eyes.