Chapter 2: Knife through the heart

WARNING:18+ gore and foul language may be encountered while the story progress.

The sun rises in the sky, just another day like none other. He started walking towards his work place, it always takes him 35 minutes to arrive, it was deep in the jungle, you either be lost or die to the predators lingering around.

But when he arrived, two soldiers armed with iron spears is guarding the entrance.

As he tried to enter he was stopped, Leonard pondered wondering what is happening. He pause's and looks at the guard.

"Why wouldn't you let me in?" He ask, his mind in a state of confusion. One of the guards speaks up

"The moniyan empire ordered us to guard the entrance, not letting anyone enter without a permission to the higher ups. There's a report that a demon is preying in this forest, it may take us days or weeks to neutralise the threat." Leonard sigh's in disappointment, he returns home saddened.

He sits at a bench and looks down, trying to process everything that have just happened. Her wife opened the door, she see Leonard saddened.

"Is everything alright?" She ask in a soothing voice

"I'm fine, no need to worry." She pinch Leonard's cheek playfully, she giggles

"My love i know your hiding something, i ain't gon bite~." She assured that she'd won't judge if he opens up. She keeps persuading Leonard and he admits that his working place got shut down.

"W-what? How? Did something happened?"

"There was a report that a demon was preying to one of my fellow workers, so they've decided to shut down the place so there will no further casualties. It'll take me weeks to find another job. We can't even afford a piece of bread because the price went high lately." He clenches his fist "Those damn lords, they continue to fund there stupid war, just committing genocide to those tribes from the south east. And yet they expect us to pay our taxes just to give tributes to there deluded ideology."

She laughs "You know it's my first time to see you this serious in this kind of topic." She puts her hand at his shoulder. "It's no time to Mourne your job my love. Besides it's okkutsu's 7th birthday, we must celebrate the day our little angel came down into this earth."

She then hugged him tightly laying her head at his chest

"My only dream was our family will live in peace and harmony. I've never dreamt of a perfect husband, nor a life full of riches. What's the point of having everything, if in the end you'll lose it all." He smiles kissing her forehead

"I'm lucky to have a woman like you beside me, your my one in a billion girl~," After this intimate moment, at night they prepare the cake with four candles and his name written on it.

"Make a wish Okkutsu," Okkutsu blows the candle, Leonard wonder's why his son didn't wish anything.

"Soooooo what did you wish son?"

Okkutsu replied with a smile

"Nothing"

"What do you mean by that?"

"What's the point of having everything... If in the end you'll lose it all, right mama?~" Uraume hugged Okkutsu shedding a tear, her love for her children ascend far beyond anything in this world, she either loose everything than the life she brings into existence.

"Thank you lord for giving me such a wise boy."

Then suddenly a loud knock is heard from the door, it's getting progressively louder and louder. It seems it won't stop until they open the door.