Chapter 7 - Attachment

Minato sat on her bed, happily playing a mobile game.

Suddenly, she got a call, interrupting her. Rather than get annoyed, her eyes widened and she hurriedly answered.

"Hyoujou-san?" she asked.

"Ah, Inui-san. Am I disturbing you?"

"No, not at all. I wasn't doing anything important."

"I see. That's good."

"Um, so, why did you call me?"

"Hmm, I wanted to hear your voice."

Minato's cheeks flared. "Wh-what?"

"We spent the last few nights together. Now that I'm alone again, it's... a little lonely."

Minato didn't know how to respond at first, but warmth soon flooded her body. She smiled. "Wanna switch to a video call?"

"Sure."

Minato fixed her hair and clothes, then fiddled with her phone. The screen changed to show Mai. Minato smiled and waved.

"It's my first time video calling someone," Mai said, peering at her screen. "There's a lot of posters on your wall."

"Oh, yeah!" Minato moved a bit, pointing out each poster and introducing them to Mai.

Minato then laid down on her side. Mai did the same. With their phones across from them, it was almost as if they were laying together.

They also got to see each other's pyjamas. It gave everything a comfier feeling. They'd been wearing the hotel's yukatas each night previously, which had its own charm but lacked personality.

Minato started reminiscing about their Hakone trip. "Hey, I looked up that bird we saw. It was a blue-and-white flycatcher! Apparently they come here in the summer. Seeing one so early is lucky!"

Mai smiled as she listened and occasionally chimed in. Minato's endless energy might grate on others, but Mai always found it soothing.

Minato ended the call when she noticed Mai about to doze off. "Sleep well. See you later!"

"Mm. Good night."

Minato giggled to herself. "Who knew she had such a cute side?" Her expression then turned smug. "And I'm the only one who gets to see it!"

Starting from that night, the two had a video call each night before bed. It became a routine. Minato enjoyed the feeling of the two of them becoming more like actual lovers.

Before long, Golden Week ended, and they resumed going to school.

Minato walked to school with Shou for the first time in a while.

"How're things going with Hyoujou-san?" Shou asked.

"Better than expected!" Minato smiled as she thought back on everything. "Most of the time, it feels like she's not really into me and just wants to try things with a girl. She has a business-like air. But sometimes something cute slips through and it does feel like she likes me. I'm not really sure if she does, though."

"You're really extreme. If she hasn't broken up with you over that yet, she has to like it on some level."

"Haha, I hope so!"

They encountered Mai at the intersection Minato usually met her at. They exchanged greetings while Mai moved to Minato's free side and took her hand.

"You're Inui-san's childhood friend, right?" Mai asked Shou. "I'm not stealing her from you, am I?"