46 ⋆*・゚:⋆ haunting memories.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:✧*⋆.*:・゚✧.: ⋆*・゚: .⋆ ☾

| HAUNTING MEMORIES |
song: i miss you, i'm sorry by gracie abrams

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:✧*⋆.*:・゚✧.: ⋆*・゚: .⋆ ☾

THE HOTTEST DAY OF THE SUMMER SO FAR WAS DRAWING. The only person left outdoors in the glaring heat was a teenage boy who was sitting on a single swing in an empty park.

After he'd been caught trying to listen to the news by his Aunt and Uncle, Harry couldn't help but storm off to take a walk, eventually ending up in the park where Dudley and his friends would often commit some type of vandalism. The swing he was sitting on was the only one left partly untouched.

He hadn't heard any news, not in the Muggle channels, or newspapers, even the Daily Prophet. There was nothing that signalled anything different in the world. It was as if that night in the graveyard and Voldemort rising hadn't happened.

He didn't even get proper news from the people he knew. His isolation was getting overwhelming.

If he was lucky, there would also be owls carrying letters from Ron and Hermione, though any expectation he had had that their letters would bring him updates had long since been dashed.

"We can't say much about you-know-what, obviously. . . ." "We've been told not to say anything important in case our letters go astray. . . ." "We're quite busy but I can't give you details here. . . ." "There's a fair amount going on, we'll tell you everything when we see you. . . ."

However, what had bothered him the most was that the person that he had been more desperate to know about hadn't written a single letter.

He hadn't received a single letter from Ara besides the ones that he'd gotten the first two weeks of the holidays. But then they suddenly stopped coming. When he wrote to Ron or Hermione about it, they would always avoid the subject, he became so concerned that he owled Atlas, only to get a similarly vague response.

Was she angry with him? That was something that Harry wondered every single day, he thought that maybe she had the time to think about that night and now blamed him for what happened to her, all the suffering that she had to go through. He couldn't bring himself to think about Ara hating him, just the thought itself made him miserable.

When was he going to see them? Nobody seemed too bothered with a precise date. Hermione had scribbled, "I expect we'll be seeing you quite soon" inside his birthday card, but how soon was soon? As far as Harry could tell from the vague hints in their letters, Hermione and Ron were in the same place, presumably at the Burrow, though he didn't have an idea of where Ara was. He could hardly bear to think of the three of them having fun at the Burrow when he was stuck in Privet Drive. In fact, he was so angry at Ron and Hermione that he had thrown both their birthday presents of Honeydukes chocolates away unopened, though he had regretted this after eating the wilting salad Aunt Petunia had provided for dinner that night.

He hadn't received a gift from Ara, which just added to the list of things that were currently making him sorrowful, she didn't even write a card. Perhaps she'd decided that she was better off without him, Harry certainly thought it once in a while. . .

Sirius, at least, seemed to understand how Harry was feeling; admittedly his letters were just as empty of proper news as Ron and Hermione's, but at least they contained words of caution and consolation instead of tantalising hints:

"I know this must be frustrating for you. . . ." "Keep your nose clean and everything will be okay. . . ." "Be careful and don't do anything rash. . . ." "She's fine. . .don't worry."