I Rhaenys' P.O.V

King's Landing, The Red Keep – 119 AC

"Your Majesty, Your Grace, Princess Rhaenys is here to see you," Ser Steffon Darklyn announced with a rap on the door of my cousin's chambers, where the King and Queen were enjoying their morning meal.

"Rhaenys? Let her in!" Viserys's voice called out eagerly from inside. With a respectful nod to me, Ser Steffon swung open the door, granting me entry.

As I stepped into the room, I noticed a slight furrow in my cousin's Andal Queen's brow as she rose to her feet to greet me. It was an unspoken rule of court decorum that if the King remained standing, so did everyone else, including the Queen. However, it also states that the King does not stand up or wait for anyone. I shook my head, my cousin never truly learned etiquette as he should, or how to behave as a strong king, which lead us to this meddlesome situation.

"Greetings, your Majesty, your Grace," I acknowledged them with a nod, maintaining the requisite level of respect without stooping to bow before an Andal. As a princess of old Valyria, I will bow to no Andal.

Viserys greeted me with a beaming smile, as he stood up to wrap his arms around me. "Rhaenys! It's wonderful to see you back in King's Landing, we've missed you."

It was true that I've been away from King's Landing for a while. But with Crolys having to remain in the Red Keep to help strengthen our son and his wife's position in court and continue fulfilling his duties as the Master of Ships. Someone had to go back to Driftmark, to keep things under control. Gods know that even with Vaemond away in the Stepstones, there were enough Velaryons coveting the Driftmark Throne as it is. Maybe after seeing me rule the isle with no issue on my own, the whispers about Lucerys' capacity to be the Lady of the Tides will be silenced.

It's been five hard moons, but Crolys and I have been doing excellent work. The Velaryon court they'd brought from Driftmark had settled into the Red Keep quite smoothly, helping keep the Greens' minions and spies at beck. With the bastardy rumors being silenced, and Rhaenyra and Leanor following Crolys advice, the Blacks influence at court has increased, while the Queen's had decreased. It has levelled the playing field and influenced both factions.

All in front of Viserys, who seems completely blind to the political battle between his wife and heir. It left me speechless and wondering if my cousin learned anything in his decades as King of Westeros.

I settled into my seat as Viserys relaxed back into his own, joining the King and Queen at their meal. "What brings you to court?" Queen Alicent inquired, her expression as unreadable as ever.

"My uncle Boremund is aging, and as one of the few remaining lords who remembers my mother, I've been visiting him more frequently," I explained, a touch of sadness coloring my tone. "I hope to learn more about her, as I never had the chance to know her."

Viserys's expression brightened at my words. "Family is indeed important," he chimed in, nodding in agreement. "I'm glad to hear you're reaching out to your mother's house like that."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes at Viserys's sentimentality. Family important? This coming from a man who turned exiling his own brother into a pastime and neglects all but one of his children. He knows nothing of true familial bonds. Glancing discreetly at Queen Alicent, I could sense her discomfort.

If it weren't for her schemes to usurp my grandson's inheritance, I might have felt pity for her. If it weren't for the fact, she wanted to steal the inheritance from my grandson, I might have felt sorry for her. Trapped in a marriage to a man who could very well be her father, used by House Hightower as a breeding mule to put their blood on the throne, her children overlooked in favor of their half-sister—Queen Alicent's life was a tragic tale indeed.