I Daeron's P.O.V

King's Landing, The Red Keep – 122 AC

As I boarded the ship bound for Old Town, resentment simmered within me like a slow-burning ember. Why was I being sent away? What had I done to deserve exile from my home, from my family? These questions gnawed at me, fueling the fire of bitterness that raged within. Old Town greeted me with its ancient streets and towering buildings, but its grandeur offered little solace for the ache in my heart. Surrounded by unfamiliar faces and distant voices, I felt adrift in a sea of strangers, longing for the warmth and familiarity of home.

Fortnights turned into moons, and moons into years, yet the sting of abandonment refused to fade. I immersed myself in my studies, seeking refuge in the pursuit of knowledge, but even the vast archives of the Citadel could not fill the void left by my absence from King's Landing. Then, one day, I returned. The sight of my mother waiting for me at the docks filled me with a sense of relief and belonging that I had sorely missed. Her embrace was a balm to my wounded soul, her love a beacon of hope in the darkness that had consumed me.

In her presence, I found reassurance and strength, a reminder that no matter how far I roamed, my mother's love would always guide me home. Yet, as I stood before her, enveloped in her embrace, a realization dawned upon me like a bolt of lightning. As I gazed into my mother's eyes, I knew that the blame lay squarely upon my father's shoulders. It was my father who had sent me away, who had deemed me unworthy of his attention and affection. His neglect had driven a wedge between us, poisoning our relationship with bitterness and resentment.

Before returning to King's Landing, I had been tasked with one special mission by my granduncle Ormund. Despite the warnings from my Hightower kin about not letting the Blacks win and putting Aegon on the throne, I found myself stuck in a bit of a pickle when it came to my siblings. Aegon was already showing signs of his drunken ways, far from the noble knight or righteous king our family hoped for. Raised to see Rhaenyra as nothing more than a loose woman, and looking at Helaena, I couldn't see her ruling the kingdom either.

It was like being caught between a rock and a hard place. On one hand, I wanted to do right by my family, honor their wishes, and make sure the right person ended up on the throne. But on the other hand, I couldn't ignore what was staring me in the face: Aegon's flaws and the doubts I had about my sisters' capabilities to rule. Caught between the teachings of the Seven and the expectations of my family, I felt like I was stuck in a never-ending limbo. The Seven taught me about righteousness, justice, and the qualities of a good ruler. And when I looked at my family, I couldn't see anyone who embodied those qualities.

Aegon's drunken escapades and Rhaenyra's tarnished reputation clashed with everything I had been taught. Even Helaena, though kind-hearted, seemed too fragile to bear the weight of the crown. It was a bitter realization, knowing that the ones closest to me were not fit to rule.

But then there were the family orders, the expectations placed upon me as a Hightower and a Targaryen. My loyalty to my kin ran deep, and I couldn't simply turn my back on them. Yet, it was the head of House Targaryen who had named his daughter as heir to the Iron Throne, and I couldn't ignore the weight of that decision either.

There was also the issue of navigating the dynamics within my own family, you never knew when someone might set something off. Rhaenyra's icy stares made it crystal clear that I wasn't part of her family. Jacaerys, though, tried to extend an olive branch, but my mom's disapproval always hung over us like a dark cloud. It tugged at my heartstrings to see the yearning in Jacaerys' eyes, to sense that connection between us that could never fully bloom. Mom's strict rules kept me at arm's length from the other kids in the family, even if we shared the same blood.

And Helaena, she was like a mystery wrapped in a delicate shell. I couldn't quite figure her out, her emotions hidden beneath that fragile exterior. Then there's Aegon, always with his mean jokes and wild antics, a constant reminder of the not-so-pleasant side of our family tree. In the middle of all this chaos, I felt lost, craving a sense of belonging that always seemed just out of reach.