II Rhaenys' P.O.V

Driftmark, High Tide – 122 AC

As expected, the moment Rhaenyra and Laenor departed on their Royal Progress, the court at King's Landing erupted into a flurry of activity. Alicent and the Greens wasted no time in trying to regain the pull and power they once held, scheming and plotting behind closed doors. It was all rather amusing to me, if I'm being honest. The Greens seemed to believe that Rhaenyra was the puppet behind the Black Faction, but in reality, they couldn't be more wrong. They were all fools, blinded by their own arrogance and ignorance.

The Greens planned to use Aegon as a puppet king, but they failed to consider the fact that House Velaryon had similar ambitions for Rhaenyra. My niece may not have been raised for rulership, but she possesses all the qualities of an excellent leader. Yet, Viserys's indulgence and foolishness have left her ill-prepared for the challenges that lie ahead. Despite the lessons that Corlys and I have been imparting to her, I know that Rhaenyra will need guidance and influence to make the right decisions.

If left to her own devices, Rhaenyra would undoubtedly make choices that would only serve to further destabilize the realm. I've seen the way she looks at Harwin Strong, her secret paramour, and I know that if given the chance, she would cast aside Laenor and marry him without a second thought. Such a decision would only fuel the rumors of her children's bastardy, further complicating an already precarious situation. Which is why Corly, and I decided to try and influence Rhaenyra as much as we could during her ruling, all while training Jacaerys to be a good king. Let's hope he becomes the first great king of Westeros, because until now House Targaryen have only birthed great conquerors, weak kings, cruel princes, or grand queens that never got the chance to rule.

As I watch events unfold at court, I know that I must tread carefully. As much as Alicent and her Greens tried to expand their influence, they found themselves thwarted at every turn. With Corlys and me at court, and all our bases covered, they were left scrambling to gain a foothold in the corridors of power. Despite their best efforts, they simply could not match our cunning and resourcefulness. At the Small Council, only the Master of Laws remained loyal to the Greens, a lone voice amidst a sea of opposition. Even when Alicent attempted to place her brother Gwayne at the City Watch to spy for their cause, it ended in tragedy. Gwayne's untimely demise was not orchestrated by any of us—it was a simple twist of fate, a cruel irony that left the Greens reeling in disbelief.

The Gods, it seemed, were playing their own game, favoring one faction over the other with capricious abandon. At one time, it had been the Greens who held sway, their influence spreading like wildfire throughout the realm. But now, it was our turn to bask in the favor of the gods, to seize the opportunity that lay before us and cement our place at court. We had come so far, endured so much, and now, victory was within our grasp. But we could not afford to become complacent, not when the stakes were so high, and our enemies lurked in every shadow.

No, we would need to remain vigilant, to always stay one step ahead of our adversaries. For the game of thrones was a treacherous one, and only the strong and the cunning would emerge victorious in the end. There was a reason why Old Town had survived this long, even with their treacherous nature. So, I was not surprised when House Hightower was willing to use the death of one of their one to expand their power. After the funeral of Gwayne Hightower, which had brought Otto Hightower back to King's Landing, Alicent wasted no time in trying to influence Viserys to allow Otto to remain at the Red Keep. She claimed that she needed his company after the loss of her brother.

I was not going to allow that to happen, without putting a stop to it. I requested a private dinner with the king, a chance for us to reminisce about our family and discuss matters of importance. As two of the three remaining grandchildren of King Jaehaerys, we had much to discuss, and I knew that Viserys would be eager to oblige.