Two: Lady of the Morning

Lady Asha's screams filled the halls as she reached her second day of labor. Thanks to Harwin's father being the Hand of the King and he himself being the sworn protector to the Heir, they were awarded quarters on the outer halls of the castle. Harwin had made it his home with his wife of less than one year. An unwanted marriage that had found peace. Asha knew of Harwin's fondness for the princess, but he was a man of honor and had cut his affair with Rhaenyra since he was married.

It was early enough in his and Rhaenyra's affair that it was mostly passion and not yet love. Rhaenyra would go to him when she needed passion, which she could not get from her own husband.

Despite neither of them wanting the marriage, he fell in love with Asha Dayne and it was not long before she was with child, a child he could publicly acknowledge as his own.

"Ser Harwin, she asks for you," the maester said to him outside of the door.

Harwin stood and marched in, making his way to his Asha. Her dark hair was coated in sweat as they reached the early hours of the morning, her eyes tired and pained. "I can't keep doing this."

He caressed his hand over her cheek and brushed her hair away from her face. "The maester believes you are almost done, just a bit more pushing. And then we can be done, my dear. No more children, I will not wish to pain you so again. We can just be a happy family of three. And you can keep singing to our child. Imagine going from singing to your belly to actually holding her and singing, hm?"

Asha faintly smiled and nodded. "You promise? Just us? And one will be enough for you?"

He nodded. "Yes. I swear it to you, Asha."

His affirmations gave her a new strength to push, and their first child was born, a daughter.

"Cut here," one of the ladymaids instructed Harwin, pointing at the chord. Once it was cut, the babe was laid on Asha's chest.

Asha's smile was wide and bright, unaware that she was bleeding more than expected. "She's beautiful. Kristyne, her name is Kristyne Strong. Born in the morning, our own little Sword of the Morning. A true Dayne."

Harwin laughed, taking the sight in. Asha finally handed her over and Harwin held his daughter.

The blood loss started to make Asha dizzy and her head fell back. "Oh my."

"My lady!" The maester called. "She's losing too much blood."

Harwin panicked, looking at Asha. "Asha, stay with me, okay? Please don't let this take you."

Her breathing slowed and she looked at Harwin. "Raise her kind and gentle, Harwin. I care not if you must find solace in the princess' bed, but make her your priority. And teach her about my house. Dayne blood is strong blood. Please don't fail her. Please."

Asha died moments later.

"Asha?" His voice cracked.

"We can take her now to the nursery and maids," The midwife held her hands out for Kristyne.

"No!" Harwin barked. "She is my daughter, she is not yours to raise. Just fetch a wet nurse."

Harwin looked back at Asha, tears falling from his eyes. Just when he had found love with his lifelong partner, she was ripped away by the Stranger. Kristyne needed a mother.

And he would do everything in his power to protect her. She was his life now.

-

Rhaenyra heard a light knocking on her door and made her way to answer it, shocked to see Harwin. It had been almost a year since he had come to her, not since he had married Lady Asha.