Twelve: No Distraction to Mask What is Real

Kristyne woke with a gasp, the pain in her head excruciating. She did not recognize where she was exactly, but noted that it was dark and damp, she was in a cell. She barely remembered hitting her head, and it took her moments before she remembered what happened before. She never got the chance to tell Luke she wasn't tied in, he was too eager to leave to hear her.

She was thankful in a way. Aemond had rushed out to his dragon at the same time they did, so if he had seen her fall off and clearly brought her back, then Lucerys might have escaped unscathed.

She stood up off the bed, not that it could really be called a bed, considering it was just a thick blanket on the floor...she didn't even have a pillow. As she stood, she winced when her head began to throb. She must have hit it quite hard for it to hurt so badly still, but she still could not remember the fall.

She walked towards the bars, trying to get a look around or even find a guard. The least they could do was tell her how long she had been here. There was one guard at the end of the hallway and she scowled, already noticing the green dragon sigil.

"Oy, fucking traitor!" She yelled at him.

He stomped to her and hit the bars to get her back. "Tell the queen she's awake!" He yelled at another guard.

"Don't you mean Dowager Queen? That fucking cunt!" She said, spitting at the guard's feet.

"You'd best watch your mouth, the king would be quite happy to allow us to ruin that pretty face. Stay put until Queen Alicent gets here."

"How long have I been here?"

"Four days, now shut the fuck up."

Four days. She placed a hand over her heart, trying to calm down. Was Lucerys home? Did Jace make it to Winterfell? Did Lucerys blame himself for what happened?

She tried to close her eyes and find Luke's past memories and entice a vision but it was not working, she was too distracted. It did not help that she was now rather hungry.

Hours passed and Kristyne was left with the sound of her growling stomach. She did not dare ask for food, she would not beg the guards for a damn thing. She would rather starve than ask them for anything.

"Ah, there you are. How disappointing it must feel to be imprisoned for someone who is not even family to you."

Kristyne sat up the second she heard Alicent's voice. "How righteous you must feel, manipulating your way to this position. Marrying the king, manipulating him and everyone else around you, all for your own self-purpose. You know the King wanted Rhaenyra to succeed him, but your jealousy has clouded your rationality. You just could not leave it alone, all because she had more freedom than you."

Alicent tilted her head. "Surely you must know that it was your father that ruined her position, and look at how fast she moved on. Must not have been too important."

"I do not know, you tell me about his death, Dowager Queen."

Alicent let out a huff. "I hope you are not expecting a rescue any time soon, the realm believes you dead. Prince Lucerys believes you fell to your death midflight, not knowing precisely when you fell off because he was battling a storm. You are dead, Kristyne and no one is coming to save you."

Lucerys was safe. "You underestimate my abilities. You have committed treason, quite rich coming from such a pious cunt. I do not think the gods would be too pleased with you. You will pay for it, whether it be tomorrow or two years from now, you will regret this."

"Will I? Because we have always struck a victory, Lady Strong. The realm is grieving another of your blood."

Kristyne felt her heart sink and her blood cool. "What?"