Seventeen: Is Peace Unreasonable?

Kristyne and Aemond moved into a routine of minimal contact. In the month since Aemond deployed Moran's help, Kristyne saw him once, maybe twice a day with no explanation besides council meetings.

But she did not need an explanation, she had Moran and the books. She and Moran bonded over their love of Danish tiles.

"Are you a gambling man, Moran?" She grinned, making her move. "Because I'd wager you shall lose this round."

"My Lady, you forget I have watched the sharpest minds play this game."

"Moran, don't you think we are at the point where you may call me Kris? All my friends do."

"That explains why Prince Aemond says 'Lady Strong' or 'Lady Morning'."

She looked at him with wide eyes. She had not heard someone call her that since her father died. "He does?"

Moran nodded. "I questioned him on it once, but his answer made no sense to me. But I did not receive a formal education."

"What did he say?" She asked eagerly.

"That when at your peak strength and with more training, you had the potential to become the Sword of the Morning. Does that mean anything to you?"

She leaned back in her chair with a small smile. "Yes," She whispered. "It was also a nickname from when I was younger. Because I caused trouble in the morning and I looked like my mother who occasionally went by Lady Morning before her marriage to my father. It is House Dayne quip, an inside jest of sorts."

"Hm, I suppose you once did. But no one may deny that you bear an uncanny resemblance to your father. Especially your blue eyes and hair."

"That still shocks me about the name. No one has used it since I was a child."

"I believe he remembers your early childhood together fondly."

"Hah," Kris scoffed. "He has an awful way of showing it."

"I shall be frank here, but Prince Aemond has an awful way of showing any emotion. Even minute things such as saying 'thank you'. His father never gave his children an ounce of attention save for Rhaenyra, and Queen Alicent is not an amazing mother. She was harsh with her children and still is when they fall below the mark of perfection. Helaena is the only exception. Aegon stopped trying and Daeron was too far, so Aemond tried everything to be perfect in her eyes. He is misunderstood if nothing else."

"Nothing excuses being an ass, Moran. He is a cold and calculated monster. I showed him attention when we were younger. Aemond feeds off hatred and evil, he cannot accept kindness in his heart. I may be taken care of here, but there is a larger picture of my predicament. I have accepted I shall die here, I wish he would speed up the process."

"I do not believe the Prince intends to kill you."

"And I do not believe that," She said followed by a groan as Moran won the match.

"So tell me about House Dayne as they seem to be making trouble."

She raised a brow. "Causing trouble?"

"From what I have heard, there has been correspondence between Lord Dayne and Princess Rhaenyra, but he has not acted because Lord Martell threatened if they did. He demands Dorne remain neutral."

"That idiot," She groaned.

"Lord Dayne is your uncle, correct?"

"No, the previous Lord was my uncle, the current Lord Dayne is Ardyn, my cousin. He and I were close, and he seems to be risking his position. I hope it just stays as correspondence. Starfall cannot risk upsetting Dorne."