Eighteen: An Unexpected Understanding

Kristyne fell into a depression. Even Aemond began to notice how she laid on the chaise longer than usual, staring at the wall.

Surely Lucerys was mistaken. Rhaenyra would have searched for her. She defended Kristyne against the greens, calling Kris her own daughter. So something was missing.

"Lady Kris, you have not eaten in almost two days," Moran said at the doorway.

She kept looking at the wall, not glancing in his direction. "I am not hungry."

"Too fucking bad," Aemond swiftly made it to her bedside, pulling her up.

"Let me go!" She yelled, thrashing against him.

"No! Whatever pity party you have been throwing ends now, Lady Strong. Eat or I shall fucking shove it down your throat!"

"Why does it matter to you when you will kill me anyways! Just fucking get it over with, you pompous cunt! All you care about is yourself, so just fucking kill me!" She pleaded. Her eyes were wide with defeat and pain. "Please, Aemond, kill me," She let out in a whisper.

Aemond paused, his violet eye bearing into her blues. "You do not get to die. If you do, it will not be on my hands. So eat willingly or I shall force you."

"So this it it, hm? Barely come around or acknowledge my existence, but make yourself present when I do not do exactly as you wish?" She asked with a scoff. One minute he tells her he will kill her, the next he does not wish to. His mood swings gave her whiplash.

Kristyne sat back on the chaise, reluctantly reached for the bowl of grapes. Aemond stepped outside to speak to Moran and she quietly pivoted so her ear was closer to the door.

"Don't you think you are being too hard on her?" Moran asked softly.

"I do not know how else to help her. I do not understand why she goes through those phases! She was fine for weeks and now all of a sudden she won't move."

"That might have to do with the fact that she is contained to a room day in and out."

"You suggest I take her outside and expose her? If my mother or grandsire see her, she will be dead, which would erase the whole reason I took her. They all believe her to be dead. For now, she belongs to me."

Kristyne scrunched her nose in disgust. She belonged to no one. Why was he being so possessive over her? Why did he want her alive?

The next morning, he was still in the room. He was at his table, writing something on some parchment. Normally he was gone when she woke.

"You are still here," She frowned.

"Yes, Lady Strong, I am still here. This is my room." He said without looking up.

"Hm, is that so? Would not think so with how sparse you have been."

"Mayhaps I realized I have been too absent. You need reminded who's room this is. And I need to ask you something," He said, finally looking up.

"Oh good," She rolled her eyes.

"Why did your own uncle want to kill you?"

She frowned. "How would you know that? How did he die?"

"How did you know he is dead? I did not even tell Moran that."

Her eyes widened. "You killed him? You killed your mother's spy? Your brother's Master of Whispers?"

He stood up, looking down at her. "Do you truly think I let them know it was me? I am not stupid. How do you know?"

"Why did you do it?"